1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digi Music Server

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by JemTurner, Feb 5, 2005.

1. JemTurner

JemTurner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just a post to get your opinions really - dont have any friends who are into this stuff real to run this by so thought I finally register and ask.

I have been interested in getting an Digital Music Server for the house for some time now - i.e. something like the Imerge S2000, however the price has always stopped me so far.

Been on ebay this morning and found what looks to be the same thing, but its badged elan?. I have sent a question to the seller asking for if its the same as the Imerge, but so far no reply.

I like the idea of the Imerge due to its 3 outputs and dedicated purpose. Plus I sort of agree with the logic that since its dedicated the sound quality will be better than a PC. (please dont shoot me down on this one)

The one on ebay is the 160Gb version so its pretty much what I'm after.

Couple of things;

1) Does anyone know elan? i.e. have experience of them?
    2) Any thoughts on the Imerge server at all? Is it worth it based on my logic above?
    3) The unit on ebay is a years old, so no warranty, however apparently in perfect condition - what do you think its worth? £500?

Cheers for any comments

Jem

2. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I take it you mean this one?

link

This is made in the same factory in the UK as our Imerge S2000, for Elan Home Systems in the US. It is based on the Imerge S2000 MK1 product, which means it has 3 analogue outputs and 1 digital outputs. The Elan software configures them as 4 independent outputs, so it can form a good basis of a multiroom system. The TV UI is configured to work with the VIA touchpanel system, but it can be used on a TV with no problems (but the color scheme is a little bit garish for TV useage - a matter of taste I guess though!)

It is slower that the current S2000 MK2 (around 3-4 times depending on the operation) but still very useable. Features missing are likely to be analog line input (depending on the exact version of software fitted) and certainly media export to Ipod/etc devices.

Audio quality is good, during development blind tests we ranked it well with 300 pound CD players.

The retail on a 4 zone SoundServer is currently around £2.5K (can't remember the exact figure, I leave that to the sales boys) so it sounds like a pretty good deal at the current price - 500 quid would actually be a lot less than it originally cost us to make it!

Cheers

James

3. JemTurner

JemTurner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi James,

Thats the one yes. Thanks for your detailed reply, and I guess from your reply you work for Imerge?
    Is it a USA item then? Are there any issues for using it in the UK you can think of?

Thanks

Jem

4. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Yes I do work for Imerge. I'm a Hardware Engineer there (design not service).

The unit shouldn't have any issues due to its origin, the only differences in the box are the lack of a scart lead, different modem cable and different power cable. The PSU is autoranging 110-240V, and the TV outputs can be configured to PAL / NTSC from the user interface. Mains power is connected via a standard IEC "kettle" lead.

Of course I can't vouch for the quality of any particular ebay item.

James.

5. JemTurner

JemTurner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn - was gonna ask about a warranty!!! :laugh:

Thanks very much for your reply.

Jem

6. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before making your decision take a look at a Linksys NSLU2 (£60!!!!) hacked to run MT-daapd (an itunes server (free)) coupled with a 250GB USB hard drive (£150) nnd bingo you have a none proprietary format that Works with ipods, Roku soundbridges (I recommend as I have 2 of these), slim devices, PC’s macs etc etc etc.

A really neat, future proofed.

http://www.rokulabs.com
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/