1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digi-cable types-TOSLink v's 75Ohm Coax

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by CfP, Dec 12, 2004.

1. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys/Gals,

Don't want to start a war here, but as someone who's about to step into the digital interconnect age, I just want to ensure I'm getting the most from what I've got.

Firstly, I'll be hooking up from:
    Pioneer PD6500 (CD Player, mediocre at best :p, TOSLink available)
    Pioneer PDS601 (Stable platter CDP, nice unit :thumbsup:, TOSLink available)
    Wintel DVD 2010S (Average mechanism, Coax+TOSLink available)

Hooking into:
    Onkyo TX-SR702 - it has 192KHz/24-bit DAC's on all channels and is no doubt better than the DAC's in the components above.

My question is:
    Wouldn't a direct digital connection from these CD/DVD transports to the amp provide a 'better' end result than introducing RCA-RCA connections and yet ANOTHER DA -> AD conversion process?

After all, if a bit stream is read from a CD/DVD and then sent straight out an optical connector (so a read 1 is still a 1) then surely, the difference is in the DA process moreso than the cabling.

I work in IT and we use fibre for networking and when you see 10Gb links working for months with no errors or packet loss, it makes fibre a compelling option.

Regards,
    Craig P
    Melbourne, Australia.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    There's a conversion in the optical link, electric to light and back again. IMO it makes not one tiny bit of difference to the sound, use whatever is easiest/cheapest.

If you want a direct digital connection, get a Pioneer/Denon dvd player and recevier with iLink/denon link.

3. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree on the electrical to optical and back again conversions, but my point is that the conversion from electrical 1 (5V) to an optical 1 (xHz/MHz) should be an absolute conversion (no grey).

So long as the optical cable doesn't change the frequency from the XMHz (digital 0) to YMHz (digital 1) which is pretty unlikely.

The alternate possibility is that a 'packet' of data (like with computer networking) which means there will be error checking (of some kind) in the transmission to ensure that the the right info gets through or the packet is discarded.

Anyone know how the standard transmission protocol is for these digitial connections is?

CfP

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    This was recently discussed in this forum - look through the older posts. Some say that co-axial is better, because the clock signals on optical are analogue, and can deteriorate over a poor optical link and cause "jitter" on the DAC's. Another school of thought is that co-axial allows a direct electrical connection between the component chassis, and this could upset sensitive DAC's.

Which do I believe ? Both of them. However I have to say that I have both optical and co-axial connections connected on my amp, and I can't tell any difference whatsover :)

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    TOSlink cables can be purchased at £5 for 2 delivered from ebay and are very good.
    (they usually have pioneer printed on the cable)

6. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pjclark,

can you give us a reputable seller id that does the above cable on ebay?

thanks

Alex