1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dig cam with 8meg and video

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by manu1, Mar 9, 2005.

1. manu1

manu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some help: I'm a dermatology doctor and need to take macro shots of small moles, skin blemishes etc.
    I also need to take short video clips of some skin problems (too long to explain).
    So I need a high res (8meg is good) dSLR, with video function, to which a decent macro lens can be fitted.
    Budget could stretch to around 1000 pounds including lens.
    Anyone got any suggestions? As always,many thanks

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Whilst I am sure that others will be able to point you in the right direction on your specified requirements (and I am sure you may find a couple of other uses for a camera of this spec :D ) I am surprised that you require such a high spec camera.

Back when I had a practical job with the insurer I work for I used to interview and have sat in on medical examinations for claimants with personal injury which did often involve photographing the injuries sustained in case of litigations. Whilst I accept that there are differences in priorities we (and the majority of our Drs) found 3-5 mega-pixal cameras in macro mode were more than sufficient.

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,476
    Check out the Fuji S7000. Should do everything you want straight out of the box for around £300 or £265 as a factory refurb from Fuji. Less than the cost of a proper SLR macro lens.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think any DSLRs have a video mode.

Search this forum for S7000.

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DSLRS dont have a movie mode. You don't need 8mp for moles ect unless you need to print them at a large size. You could get the canon G6 7mp decent macro function and video mode. For under £400

But then crocs would do the job

5. manu1

manu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks folks, As I expected, you all sound like you have med photography backgrounds (or a strange fascination with skin lesions). I shall look into all the models you mention - pronto.