Difficulty in removing Tape/Tuner from Seat Leon

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Arthur Dent, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Am intending to replace factory installed tape/tuner on my Seat Leon with a Kenwood CD/Tuner. However am having extreme difficulty removing the existing unit. Advice from a dedicated Seat site says that it's a matter of either cutting an old credit card into 5mm strips or using Kenwood tools inserted in the two slots thereby releasing springs and unit should pull out by grasping the tape head. Tried both tools but unit won't budge and worried it might be damaged if I used brute force. So wondered if there was anyone out there with further/different advice. Tips, tricks, tweaks, fiddles, etc much appreciated. Thanks. :mad:

2. Contrarian

Contrarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

I have met this problem and dealt with it by making strips as you say. I cut up an old CD, but a credit card sounds a better bet - less brittle. The thing is, you probably won't succeed unless you can visualise the little hooks inside that you are trying to manipulate, so you can see the shape of the strips required and the way to manipulate them. If you like I can photograph the unit to show you this; but I won't say any more now as this post is a month old so maybe you have already solved your problem!

3. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Yes, have now solved the problem. Solved that is by buying a new cd/tuner with a free fitting offer and getting a professional to do it. It took him all of 3 seconds to remove the unit. I know what you mean by having to visualise the clips. The tool that the fitter used was hooked shape on the end, whereas I was trying to use a Kenwood tool which just has a plain end. Thanks for advice anyway. Cheers

4. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. Who fitted the radio for you>? I work for a firm that fits for halfords and argos so It could have been me that removed your radio!

5. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    god bless HPC