1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difficult Sony mount???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Spaniard, Jul 18, 2001.

1. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Guys, I have finally done the dirty deed and after over a year of looking have finally ordered the sony that has been out for an age! Why?? well, for one my wife finally conceded to the ceiling mount in the lounge. This had been stopping me buying the sony because of the physical limitations of its lens and my particular screen requirements. And perhaps more importantly, metric let me know of a supplier that is currently selling them for £3150!!! inclusive of delivery. Anyone interested can check it out on mistersuper.com. They are fully to U.K. spec and have a no questions asked returns policy and yes, the manual comes in english! Not only that, the purchase earns you enough bonus points to get a Sony multi-use remote.... or 6 bottles of bubbly! They only come with a one year warranty however but this can be increased if required and the goods are shipped direct from Sony. I reckon that coupled with a da-lite grey screen this will keep me happy for a few years and anyway, I was sick to death of waiting!

And now, finally to get to the reason for this topic... my mounting requirements are that the lens centre needs to be about 6inches below my ceiling level to be at the same height as the top of my screen and I dont think the sony mount will handle this. Can anyone tell me otherwise or suggest the best way to do this.I have told the wife that because the projector has to be so close to the ceiling that no one will be able to see much or hopefully any of the mount!! Please help me..

Thanks very much

The Spaniard (Gary) :)

2. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I forgot to say, I have had a quote from Walter at direkt2u for a cinema contour screen with pro trim finish and da-mat high contrast surface, viewing size of 72 inches x 40.5 inches. Does anyone know who else I can ask for a quote? If any suppliers read this then please send me an email. I am looking to place an order...NOW!!

Thanks again

Gary :)

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,979
    Why not e-mail Gordon Fraser or Chris Frost who will either give you a quote, or at least point you in the right direction(chris is not a dealer but his company does supply screens, and he will point you to a dealer near you)

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Unicol are the guys for mounts. The Sony unit is very wibbly wobbly and not recommended. Unicol are sturdy chaps!

We don'T do Da-Lite screens. Sorry. Stewart, Vu-Tec, Draper yes. Of course only Stewart out of those do grey....and I guarantee it'll be more expensive than the Da-Lite....if you still want a quote gdfaser@aol.com

Gordon

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Spaniard!!!
    Welcome to the "projector" club!.(at last)
    I use the Unicol mount from AV-Sales.com.
    Even with the flush mount ceiling peg the mount suspends the projector about 12 inches from the ceiling. This is to allow the swivel mechanism to do its bit etc.
    There maybe a way round this for your needs.
    Just buy the projector bracket (no ceiling pole or peg etc).
    The mount comes in three parts as such.
    1. top outer pole clamp
    2. top bracket
    3. bottom bracket
    Unbolt the large nut which attaches the top outer pole clamp.
    This will leave you with about a 1/2-3/4 inch hole in the "top part" of the projector mount etc.
    You would then bolt this part(top bracket) direct to the ceiling with a large "Rawlbolt" or very strong screw/bolt (or similar)etc.(not ideal) :(
    Or get some thick plate steel approx ten inch square etc, then drill out a hole in the centre the same size as on the top bracket. Then place a large bolt through the hole. Attach the plate to the ceiling, leaving just the short large bolt hanging down on which to attach the top bracket etc.
    Leave just enough free play so that you can slightly swivel the top part, otherwise you wouldn't be able to centre the image on the screen!. :)
    The bottom part of the projector mount has two side bolts in which to "hang the projector onto.
    I estimate the gap between ceiling and top of the projector would then be about 4-5 inch, leaving plenty of room for up/down adjustment!. :)
    As with most advice given on this forum, you try this idea at your own risk etc!. :p

Right now onto the sony!.
    I feel you will be very pleased with the sony even though i know you where waiting for the SanyoPLV60 or VW11HT with ther better contrast levels etc.
    The "only" downside i have found with the VW10HT is the "glowing" black level.
    Ie when the projector is showing very dark scenes the blacks are very muddy etc.
    I would love velvet blacks etc(but you can't have everything!).
    As for the contrast, well i think it is fantastic. When there is any light areas of the picture on screen the black issue is a non-issue!, blacks look true-ly black.
    My Tosh MT1 gave better "ambient" black level ie when no picture was showing. But during scenes with any light in them the Sony is in a class of its own.
    You must use a "grey screen" with the Sony to tighten up the blacks etc, i'm still on my DIY screen at the moment but that should change soon!.
    Until twelve degree-six segment(or more!)-16.9-silent DLP come available at a low price, the Sony will be taking pride of place in my cinema!. I still get a buzz giving demos to friends and family who have never seen a home cinema. The look on there faces when the subs start, makes it all worth while!.
    Let us know what you think of the Sony when you have had time to set it up etc.

7. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was 3137 but they just put it up. We have both been overcharged by about £150 at the moment because of the billing in belgian francs and our cc's charging a exchange fee...they are trying to sort it, but we shall see.

The price includes local tax and because belgium is an ec member then it shouldnt be touched by customs but i shall let you know tomorrow

Mike

8. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    wow that sure looks like a good price,£3319 is that is with vat? do you think marata vision will service a model bought from them ? and will you hafto pay duty on this sony when it gets here ?
    i want a 10ht or 11 when they come out ,but im tempted with that price :)half the price of my old projector.
    can you post more when you get it delivered please

http://www.ronin100.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

9. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    any news :)
    please tell me what the final figure was and what do you think of there service >

10. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i got hit with a slight overcharge of about £40, and then barclaycard slapped me a £96 exchange fee. The supplier has promised to rectify the problem. Looks like we may pay direct into their account in UKP and they will refund the card.

At the moment it has come to £3,500 with the sony mounting kit. I got 8 dvds with my free points and 3 were in the mount box along with two uk plug adapters.

The projector looks pretty nice, there are no dead pixels and it took 4 days from the order to delivery.

No import duty because its an EC member.

So pretty happy, just need to smooth over the price problem which will bring it down to £3,320 inc mount. Customer service seem keen to please and there is a 7 day money back policy.

Mike

11. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    that sounds great im going to order one when i get back from the maldives in a months time ,cant wait :),the price is good and the service sounds great 4 days from start to finish ,i waited 4 weeks for a custom made svhs lead from qed and that in the uk :(
    thx for the info

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mr Spaniard
    I live in New Zealand and have limited choice when it comes to distributors but us Kiwis are cunning.
    I have a Sony 10HT and was horified by the price on the cieling mount bracket. Not just the price but the look to.
    That I did was use a good ceiling mount speaker bracket made to hold 20kg. My choice a a "Toa", but I imagine any good quality bracket would do. All you need to do is make a "T" shape out of 4m sheet steel and drill holes to line up with the projector. All this can be found in manual. Then rivet the "T" to your speaker braket and there you have it.

I hope this make sense, but it very cheap i.e NZ$100 (30GBP) and look better as its white and small.

Good luck.
    grandNagus :D

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mr Spaniard
    I live in New Zealand and have limited choice when it comes to distributors but us Kiwis are cunning.
    I have a Sony 10HT and was horified by the price on the cieling mount bracket. Not just the price but the look to.
    That I did was use a good ceiling mount speaker bracket made to hold 20kg. My choice a a "Toa", but I imagine any good quality bracket would do. All you need to do is make a "T" shape out of 4m sheet steel and drill holes to line up with the projector. All this can be found in manual. Then rivet the "T" to your speaker braket and there you have it.

I hope this make sense, but it very cheap i.e NZ$100 (30GBP) and look better as its white and small.

Good luck.
    grandNagus :D

14. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Metric...I guess you mean http://www.unicol.com
    .....honestly ;)

Thanks for the tip...they seem to have a very useful range of stuff.

Ian Guinan

15. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Ian, metric was right first time around although as you now know, you can go to the.com site. The difference is that on the U.K site there is a pdf file on the Sony gyrolock mount that I found quite useful. This isn't available, (or I couldnt get to it if it is!!) on the .com site.

It may be of use to you depending on your individual requirements but it does show the various attachments available for the gyrolock. I should have mine on Monday although the projector has had to go back to Sony for the second time due to faulty pixels!

16. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Nope, you may be both right because I just checked again and the .co.uk site is no longer available, although it was definitely there on friday because I was looking at it while I gave them my order!.....honest :)

17. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was on there when i posted the link.

Mike