Question Difficult room and surround speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by miguelbarroso, Apr 30, 2018.

1. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi there,

Here is my living room - yellow is my main listening position, red is the speaker placement, green the subwoofer (under the desks) and in pink my intentions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it's not a conventional room. It has almost 40sqm. The SB channel is now out of place (beacause the sofa and the sistem had to shift a little bit to the side), so I decided to go back to 5.1 and although the SB speaker is still in place, it's no longer connected (need to repair the holes when I take it down).

I used to have 3 KHT egg satelites in the back, but I recently got hold of a pair of MA Radius 90HD, and they sound better, so now they are the surround speakers. But in the actual position, without the SB channel, the surround sound is way forward, so I plan to move the Radius 90 to the corners.

My question is if there is a better solution? The furniture position is not negotiable, and the windows and curtains also limit the back wall speaker placement. Any ideas?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,426
    The surrounds being so high and in the corner is not ideal but may be the best compromise since your current positions are far from ideal either (in the bookcase and on the unit are not great locations for speakers). Given your room limitations I think 5.1 in the locations you have suggested seems the best option.

3. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Yes, I also think so. And since the surround speakesr will be quite far from my listening position (and more balanced than they are today), I will have a bit more dispersion of the sound. I will try to put them a little bit less in the corner, facing directly at my position. Hope it works for the best.