Question Difficult positioning of rear speakers

Gloucester

Established Member
Reaction score
Spending the summer with builders fully gutting our new house, so as a treat for myself I decided to try and install in-wall surround sound in the living room. The fronts and centre are fine - TV is hanging on an external brick cavity wall - however the rears are causing me a headache.

The problem is that to the right of the sofa where we shall mostly be viewing is a brick wall which could easily take an in-wall speaker, but on the left side is a thin load-bearing column which most definitely can't have such a huge chunk cut out of it. The ceiling on the left of the sofa is a possibility however the ceiling on the right contains a thin-ish concrete slab which distributes the weight and can't take a speaker hole.

So, I am currently considering placing a left surround on the ceiling and the right one high on the wall. Has anyone tried something similar? Could I offset the positioning difference with directionality and proper calibration?

Would it be possible to build a false wall on or around the issue? Build or install the speaker into it?
If necessary you could build the identical pillar/design on the other side of the room and install the second speaker in it.

Yes, it did cross my mind, but there is no spare space to build the false wall on. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom