Differing speaker positions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cwinson, Dec 2, 2002.

1. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having finally made the plunge for a projector (TW100 with VuTec screen) :D , I've now got a dilemma of how to wire up my speakers (Kef Eggs) :confused: .

The screen drops down in front of a bay window, but my TV is in the corner of the room (to the left of the screen). When using the projector, I want the speakers lined up so that the one in the bay (on top of hifi rack) is the centre etc, and when using the TV, I want the speakers to be effectively rotated round one position so that the one on top of the TV is the centre.

At the moment, I am having to rewire my amp each time I change between TV and projector, which is becoming a bit of a pain.

Has anyone else got this problem ? If so, how did you get around it. I have thought about using a speaker switch box, but they are designed for 1amp -> 2 sets of speakers. I'm also wary of damaging my amp and/or speakers.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Chris

BTW - I have thought about moving the TV to sit in the bay window, but I'd prefer not to if I can avoid it

2. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, let me put this another way.

How do dealers manage multiple amps connecting to a single set of speakers during demos, without having to rewire the speakers on the fly. Is there a switch box available to simplify this ?

Chris

3. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem. Has anyone come up with an easy solution (other than using loads of switch boxes)?

4. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ended up using 3x 2-way speaker switch-boxes (QED I think). Was a bit of a nightmare to wire up, but does work - manually

I did toy with the idea of doind the switching at the line level as opposed to the speaker level, using the Zektor MAS3 switch and 'Y' phono cables, however it ended up looking too expensive. Would have allowed remote control, though, which would have been cool

5. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris (must have been a long time ago!). How did you wire them up. I need to rotate by one position the fronts and rears, as I can physically move the centre speaker from the TV to under the projector screen. When I worked it out I thought I would need 4 boxes: 2 boxes for the speakers so that the wires from the speakers switched over completely, and 2 boxes for the amplifier for the wires from the amplifier to switch over. I was concerned that if wires from the amplifier or from the speakers were spliced to go to two different destinations in the switch boxes simultaneously, there would be some type of feedback and everything would blow up!

Any advice. Many thanks. Al

6. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wired each speaker output into 2 switch inputs, then one switch output to each speaker.

Got a bit confusing with all the wires, but worked out OK in the end.

The QED switch boxes I used have an intermediate 'no signal' position which prevents the feedback issue you suggested. When switching over, I set each switch to 'neutral', then to the new setting (all up -> all neutral -> all down)

chris

7. AlanDL

AlanDL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I presume the neutral switch is not necessary if I make sure that the amplifier is turned off when switching (Maplins do a cheap speaker switch). Given what you say, in effect the wires from the amplifier are going into the terminals that were designed for the speakers, and vice versa, as these switches are designed to run two sets of speakers off one amplifier, and not the other way round!

At least I know that the thing won't blow up!