Differing speaker packages

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Roost, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Roost

Roost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after some new speakers to go with my new receiver.

I really do like the big floorstanders, most packages like this are 5.0.
    [​IMG]

Then theres the 5 smaller speakers and a sub woofer.
    [​IMG]

What type would you recommend?

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,121
    It depends on the the size of the room.

I don't like too small speakers as the amp will have to make them work harder than bigger speakers.

You can't expect big sound from small speakers. Also, bigger speakers are better if you are using the same speakers for music (without using the sub).

Small speakers are fine for surrounds and center but make sure you get the right speakers to be used as fronts.

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,733
    It is not simply a case of recomending one or the other!!!
    Some go large for the ' big scale ' others will say that a good 'sub sat' will match it.
    Then you probably have to take into acccount your own room and, space etc.
    The best thing to do is, decide which type you want, then audition whatever is on your short list.
    Afterall, your ears know best..........dont they ?

Cheers
    Kev

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,733
    I have big sound from my M&K 's

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Big price too.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,121
    What I mean't was that small speakers tend to come with a sub because they can't do the bass like bigger speakers can.

The speakers in the picture with the sub look really small unless the sub is big.

The bass from my B&W 601's while good was stilll lacking compared to my bigger B&W 602's as I would expect.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    This type of question is ridiculous as it is impossible to answer. How can anyone recommend floorstanding speakers over sub / sats or vice versa, in general.

Any request for a recommendation needs to be accompanied by budget, room size and a number of other factors before meaningful answers can be given.

I much prefer my M&K small speakers to Eltax floorstanders but would prefer Dynaudio floorstanders to Bose satellites.

8. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    But if you set the front speakers to "small" then the amp will be working less hard than it will be with large speakers because it will not be trying to reproduce the lower frequencies - the subwoofer will take care of that.

I'd say you definitely can get a big sound from small speakers but to do this they must be used with a decent active subwoofer.

On a general note, it's worth remembering that if you want to hear the full frequency range on many DVD soundtracks then you will still need a subwoofer even if you are using large floorstanding speakers - most large floorstanders don't go low enough for the full range of the main 5 channels of a DVD (down to 20Hz) and virtually none go low enough to reproduce all the information on the .1 LFE channel.

So, I would say that if you are serious about home cinema then you will need a decent subwoofer and, if you get one, then there is arguably no need to spend extra money on large floorstanding front speakers when a small pair will do the job perfectly well.

One final thought - another problem with big front speakers is that you then have the issue of trying to find a matching centre speakers and a lot of the "matching" centres are nowhere near the size of the floorstanders so, unsurprisingly, they are unable to sound perfectly matched. The advantage of satellite speakers is that you can use either identical or very nearly identical speakers for the front three.

Matt.

9. Roost

Roost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jesus i was only asking what you guys preferred, a won't bother in future.

I decided on some floorstanders with a centre speaker and some rears, i'll probably get a sub in the new year.