Differing bit rates for HD soundtracks, how do you tell??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MoFoHo, Apr 20, 2007.

1. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi all, I have the Toshiba HD-XE1 connected by HDMI to my Denon AVC-A11XV. My question is, when playing back the different sound formats on HD-DVD, should the numbers in the 'Status' display on my amp be saying different things? When playing back HD-DVDs it always says 'Multichannel in' as it should. But how come some people are able to tell what bit rate these soundtracks are encoded at? Be it high or low bit DD,DD+, DD True HD, or DTS soundtracks. Is it the HD-DVD player that is giving this info, or the amp?

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,285
    It won't tell you the bit rate, just the sample rate of the signal. Status shows that but you can also press the OSD button and call up other stuff (signal, format etc).

The Denon will usually show 24bit/96khz as the sample rate. The AL24+ processing upsamples it to that rate so you may find the original signal is 24bit/48khz or less.

Maybe other Amps show bitrate.

3. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ok thanks Jase, if anyone would know the answer, it would be you! Still loving the amp!:thumbsup: Now I just need to find the perfect standalone Blu-Ray player!! How you finding the HD-XE1? Slow but super eh?

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,285
    My demonically possessed XE-1 has been working ok recently but only if I switch it on with the Denon switched over to another Input...:suicide: Have to wait for it to start playing the film then switch the Denon over otherwise the player locks out. Well strange.

Apart from that, it's ok! LOL

New speakers are on the horizon, going back to M&K. :D So I'm waiting for them to arrive before I watch any more discs.

5. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thats strange!? When I'm running a HD-DVD connected to the Denon, the Denon keeps going through 'clicking' cycles, if the TV is not selected to the Denons HDMI output. Handshake issues perhaps? Think thats gonna be the big buzzword in home cinema soon!!!
    So what speakers you thinking of getting? Can you post a link? I wouldnt mind getting some new speakers too, I'm looking for a BIG sound though!!:thumbsup:

6. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,285
    I'd imagine it is down to handshaking, HDCP and all that crap...LOL

Picked up some M&K LCR 651's to use as Surround Backs so now on the hunt for another pair and probably some LCR 851's for fronts and centre. I had M&K S150 THX and S85's previously and I don't think anything can get near M&K for dynamics, imaging etc. They're also neutral sounding. Here's a link:-

<a href="http://www.mksound.com/product_finder.htm">Class!</a>