1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different types of Multiregion

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David A, Jul 17, 2002.

1. David A

David A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some web sites (eg techtronics) detail more enhanced multiregion capabilities eg RCE compatibility etc. Others just state that the player is multiregion.

Excluding the VCR compatibility (as I don't want to copy DVD's to video), should I be worried about these 'features' or all multiregion DVD's basically the same (in terms of multiregion compatibility)

So I'm :confused:

Any help appreciated.

N.B. I'm looking at the cheaper and of the market Pioneer DV454 Tosh 210/220 etc

Dave

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

Most multiregion players can play RCE titles either they just play the disc without any problems or it might be a case of swapping discs, put in a non RCE disc, let it play, then eject it and put in the RCE disc. Or it might be a hack on the remote, title 2, press 1 etc etc.

Most places will state what needs to be done with their modifications and RCE titles.

Worth checking out www.leconcepts.com good prices and great service.:)

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    yes can all be a bit confusing.

Most mods nowadays are "auto", in other words stick any region disc in and the player simply plays it.

However it is sometimes a good dea to check that your mod will allow you to select RCE manually as well. Some discs can be temperamental, but very few.

VCR mode is important as for most people this means Macrovision disable. It is not only what you will need if you record your DVD's to tape but also if you have a RPJ telly or a PJ since macrovision interferes with the projected image.

Another point worth asking is if the mod actually disables CGMS. Along with macrovision this is another form of preventing you back up your dvd's as it were. However this will only restrict you if you try to back up using a digital form ie recording to a DVD recorder.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is also good to get Macrovision disabled if you think you might use a loopthrough scart as it can interfere with that too.

5. David A

David A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats a Loopthrough Scart?:confused:

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For example, if you plug your digibox into your VCR and then plug your VCR into your TV.

Or if your TV lets you take the input from one scart and output it to another scart.

Macrovision can even wreak havoc with scart switch boxes.

7. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my DVD from dvdplayers.co.uk. Its multi-region and RCE compatible and I would recommend them. You say you're not interested in VCR mode, but if anyone else is, I wouldn't recommend getting a machine that has VCR mode - you'd be much better off getting a sonel.com cable.

FYI, the way they makes DVD players multi-region is simply by playing a disc in the machine, which doesn't affect the machine at all, so your warranty with the manufacturer is not void, like it would be if it was VCR mode.

BTW, I recommend you getting the Tosh 220. I eventually bought the Tosh 510 and although its a good DVD player, I really wish I'd gone for the cheaper but much newer and with many more features 220.

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not everyone does it like this, and you have to be careful in these cases as it can result in downgraded firmware.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    yes you have to be careful with using the disc upgrade method. Generally this method re-programs the machine and you are in the hands of how well the the original mod software programmer knew the machine to begin with.

It can also unwittingly disable many functions and alter functionality including output signals.

I think this is also a great misconception as I do not know of any manufacturer that would accept a faulty machine back under warranty if you have modified the original software in the machine in anyway. Especially a modification to make it play all regions. When you modify the machine to multi-region you can kiss your manufacturer warranty goodbye from that point on (unless it is a reversible hack)

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, if you mess about with the non-user parts of the player, then the warranty is void, whether these are hardware or software. Even just entering the service menu of the player can invalidate the warranty!

I don't know what the big deal is with having the original manufacturer's warranty anyway. If a DVD player is going to go wrong, it's most likely to go wrong within the first month, during which time you can get a replacement. In the rare event that it goes wrong after that within the first year, you're covered by the warranty from the firm you bought it from anyway and they will repair it. What's wrong with that? If you bought a non-multi-region DVD player from Curry's or Dixons or Comet, it'd be the same thing anyway - they'd fix it themselves!

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I think part of the comfort point of a manufacterers warranty is say if your machine developed a fault that required non readily available parts.

In that case the "middle man" repair warranty may become a bit problematic. You have to be quite wary that some firms also actually only warranty the modifictaion itself and not the whole machine, in which case they will only consider if a fault has developed as a direct result.

I suppose at the end of the day if you are going for a fairly popular and widely used machine then you shouldn't be going too far wrong with a decent tried and tested modifier.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Different types of "Solderless Upgrade" exists .... many are now available to rent and do at home from www.dvdchips.co.uk

To say that a disk upgrade affects the firmware of the machine is true to a small extent but for the vast majority of cases is not true ....

For example the older Panasonic Disk that works on RV20/40/60 series of players does not affect the firmware AT ALL ... also in event of a warranty claim your "chipper" should be able to revert the player to region 2 with macro back on for you and should only charge a nominal fee for this service .... the trouble is that most users of this disk dont have a clue how to use it ... they enter code 3193 to make the player auto region and macro off but dont realise that entering code 3290 will reverse the process giving Region 2 and macro back on again.

The newer Panasonic Disk for RV31/RV41 series does affect the firmware BUT NOT THE VERSION .... it changes locations in the firmware chip ( 5 for auto and macro and 4 for just auto) it has no negative effect on the player whatsoever !! It too can be reverted back to R2 and macro on with code 3290

The Sony Remote DOES NOT AFFECT FIRMWARE .... it can also be easily reverted back using a pic 12c508 attached to a test clip with NO TRACE !!

The JVC upgrade tool DOES NOT AFFECT FIRMWARE and could also in theory be reverted back using a 12c508 and a test clip BUT this would be more tricky as there is a checksum to calculate !!

The Toshiba 220 upgrade disk DOES NOT AFFECT FIRMWARE and again can easily be reverted back using a pic 12c508 on a test clip

The new Panasonic Upgrade remote for RV32 abd XV10 does alter locations in the firmware but NOT THE VERSION .... another remote sequnce will revert it back

The Pioneer 350 upgrade remote does affect firmware locations but NOT VERSION and there is no known way to revert this back

So now we are on to the real "Problem" which is ALL PIONEERS up till the new 350

To upgrade these Pioneer players the dealer uploads a "new" firmware image into the player to give auto region and macro off ..... most dealers dont bother to update this hacked image so as the manufacturer fixes problems in firmware the "chippers" undo these fixes by fitting an older hacked firmware .... this is why I guess there are so many complaints about the Pioneer 444 player ..... at least 2 firmware updates have come from Pioneer but most of the dealers are overwriting this with older files and therefore introducing the bugs back in !!

So the real worry is not disk upgrades but these firmware uploads !! Pioneer go so pis5ed off by this that the released their own ( allegedly) firmware "patches" that simply patch the firmware keeping the same VERSION but enabling auto region but none of these patches disable macrovision SO if you have a Pioneer with auto region and macro disabled there is a good chance it has been firmware downgraded !!

13. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I was only telling you what the guy at dvdplayers.co.uk told me!!! :confused:

14. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This is why I chose to buy a US region 1 player as well as my region 2. It may have cost more but I can spin any disc no probs.

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO you're still better off with a multi-region DVD player, especially ones that can be remote hacked since they will play RCE disks with no probs. If the mod chips actively changes the region depending on the DVD, thats when RCE kicks in I believe... But if the DVD player is set to region 0 (because the region has been set) RCE can't do anything.

Of course I could be wrong but I've had my multiregion DVD player for ages now and with Gladiator, etc I've had no probs.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think anyone here is arguing against multi-region DVD players as such. I know I certainly wasn't - I couldn't live without one! We were all just expressing warnings about the way the player is made multi-region. :)

Ged, I can spin any disk from any region in one player without problems. You can only spin R1 and R2. You're missing out on the rest of the world mate, in particular R4's. ;)

Other way round! An RCE disk asks the player what region it is and if the player answers with the exact region then it will play. If it answers anything else (including R0), then it won't. If you want a player to be RCE compatible, it HAS to change the region bit in the player.

Basic remote hacks (based on the user remote) can or can't be effective with RCE disks (it varies). The recent Sony remote hacks are, but these require a special remote. These days, hardware mods are usually always RCE compatible (although I'm sure there will always be someone out there selling dodgy hardware mods :p).

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget about RCE .... it's not relevant anymore when buying a player .... I can think of no current player that once modified with an automatic "Solderless Upgrade" has problems with playing RCE.

Toshiba used to have RCE problems before 110 and 210 but Toshiba implemented an RCE fix in their firmware.

Panasonic players have never had any problems with RCE1

Sony used to have RCE problems but this was fixed by Sony on the later versions of the NS300 / 400 series and has never been a problem since.

JVC have not had any problems with RCE ( early versions required you to play a R1 disk first )

Pioneer mods have almost all been RCE compatible but as these mods can differ so much it's difficult to say 100%

My advice would be ... if you want a Multiregion player then look around for somewhere that is offering the player already Multiregion .... most of these are done with the "Solderless Solution" .... lets not forget that these "Solderless Upgrades" are not Magic .... they are simply ways to reactivate the Multiregion feature of the player that is BUILT IN BY THE MANUFACTURER .. what better way can there be to Multiregion a player than doing it the way the manufacturer intended it to be done ?

If you have already bought your player then you could try find someone local to upgrade your player with a Solderless Upgrade tool and pay anywhere from £20 to £50 for this service or if you cant find anyone local , rather than sending the unit away you may be better renting the upgrade tool yourself and doing it at home .... this costs £40 to £50 and as far as I am aware is only available from www.dvdchips.co.uk

18. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Squirrel God, hehe I was close! <g> I knew it some something like that but as you said, I had it in the wrong order. Best to be corrected than to look like a fool I'd say. Now if only I can find that elusive Philips Q50...

19. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi...I have two questions on this then:

I am thinnking of getting a Pioneer DV747 from Techtronics, is this a good idea? I mean is the Techtronics region free solution okay and doesnt cause issues with disc playback?

also,

My father in law has the Panasonic SA-PM08 DVD package. This is Region 2 and he was looking to get it set to multi region?

How would he get that done, send it to Techtronics to be chipped or is this Region Disc mentioned on this thread up to the job? I must admit I have never heard of this disc before, how do you get it anyway?

Many thanks,

Kirk

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Techtronics Pioneer upgrade will be one of the better ones ... it's the small outlets where you may be risking old firmware .... regarding the Panasonic , the upgrade disk is available for rent from www.dvdchips.co.uk and is listed on their Solderless Upgrades page

21. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent! Thank you very much!