PatBateman

Novice Member
Hello,

TV: LG C1
AVR: looking for a new one, but eyeing the Yamaha RX-V4A
Setup: 2.0 (two floor speakers)

I'm currently looking for an new AVR. I have a few questions to the matter of using different calibrations (picture modes) with an AVR. For example: using Netflix by the native app of the tv, PS5 on HDMI1 and Nintendo Switch on HDMI2, each with their own calibrations - e.g. game mode is activiated, when the input of the PS5 is used.

From my understanding are there two possible ways to use the new AVR in conjunction with the tv:
a. connect the devices directly to the tv - connect tv with AVR by eARC​
b. connect all devices directly to the AVR - connect tv with AVR by eARC​

Using way b, my TV won't use the right calibrations automatically, since there is only one input for all devices and I switch them over the AVR itself. That's why I prefer option a.

Now to my questions:
  1. Using way b, can I still use the audio formats of the AVR (e.g. DTS) and functions (e.g. EQ) or only the formats/functions supported by the tv itself?
  2. Does it even matter if I use way a or b (for now), since I only have a stereo system and can't use Dolby Atmos etc.?
  3. I might upgrade my system to 5.1 or even 7.1 in a few years - the LG C1 does support Dolby Atmos by itself, that means I can still use at least Dolby Atmos, even when using way b, right?
Thanks for your time and answers!

Jay53

Hello,

TV: LG C1
AVR: looking for a new one, but eyeing the Yamaha RX-V4A
Setup: 2.0 (two floor speakers)

I'm currently looking for an new AVR. I have a few questions to the matter of using different calibrations (picture modes) with an AVR. For example: using Netflix by the native app of the tv, PS5 on HDMI1 and Nintendo Switch on HDMI2, each with their own calibrations - e.g. game mode is activiated, when the input of the PS5 is used.

From my understanding are there two possible ways to use the new AVR in conjunction with the tv:
a. connect the devices directly to the tv - connect tv with AVR by eARC​
b. connect all devices directly to the AVR - connect tv with AVR by eARC​

Using way b, my TV won't use the right calibrations automatically, since there is only one input for all devices and I switch them over the AVR itself. That's why I prefer option a.

Now to my questions:
  1. Using way b, can I still use the audio formats of the AVR (e.g. DTS) and functions (e.g. EQ) or only the formats/functions supported by the tv itself?
  2. Does it even matter if I use way a or b (for now), since I only have a stereo system and can't use Dolby Atmos etc.?
  3. I might upgrade my system to 5.1 or even 7.1 in a few years - the LG C1 does support Dolby Atmos by itself, that means I can still use at least Dolby Atmos, even when using way b, right?
Thanks for your time and answers!

Whilst eARC supports it very few TVs pass DTS over arc/eARC.

Also, i would check as I am sure someone posted that using an LG TV (sorry can't remember the model) the internal apps and TV speakers it would show ATMOS but as soon as they switched to outputting over eARC the internal apps stopped showing ATMOS suggesting whilst it might work for hdmi sources connected to TV, it may not support atmos for the internal apps :(

Game mode (ALLM) should still function as that is triggered by the source connected to the avr.

Last edited:

rpr

I'd connect everything to the AVR. With regards LG's & Atmos, I get Atmos from the built in apps on my LG OLED via ARC

Jay53

Other thing to add is the v4a is a 5.1 channel avr and I am not sure it can be reconfigured to 3.1.2 which is the minimum you would need for ATMOS?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom