1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different surround speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nick Odgers, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My main speakers are Monitor Audio PMC 703, subwoofer KEF 30B, centre speaker is a B & W one and rears are white Yamaha cheap ones. I use a Yamaha DSP E-800 processor and Audiolab amplifiers. It sounds pretty good when watching films/dvds but magazines say you should have speakers by same manufacturer, does this matter that much?

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which Yamahas are they, if they are the 105's then they were good in their day.

As an aside what do you think of ther 30b sub, i've always wondered how it compares to my 20b series 2

3. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes they are the 105`s, I got them from Hyper Fi about 2 years ago. The 30B sub is very good, I have it turned down low but it does flesh out the sound of the main speakers. I found an old What Hi-Fi mag and they reckoned it was the best sub out of the ones they tested.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You do seem to have a mishmash of different speakers and whilst it is considered important that at least the front three should tonally match, in the final analysis it is your ears that you have to please.

When sounds pan across the soundstage you don't want the voicing to change and possibly this could improve if you had a centre speakers from the same range as the front stereo pair. If it doesn't worry you unduly, don't waste your money.

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I used to have MA PMC703, Yamaha surround speakers and a kef 80C. I did demo the matching centre speaker but found it sounded completely different from the PMC703's - the kef actually sounded closer :confused:. The yamahas weren't such a good match, though, and I replaced them with MA silver fx surrounds to good effect (pun intended).

So, as Ian says, listen to whether sounds change in tone as they pan around. Another good test for your centre is to switch between Phantom centre mode and normal and judge if there is much tonal change.

Cheers,
    Liam