1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different speaker cables???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by edonkeyman, Aug 19, 2003.

1. edonkeyman

edonkeyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys hope you can help me on this.....

Panny 42" Plasma
    Denon 2803 Amp
    Kef 2005.2 Speakers
    XBox-PS2
    SKY

Just got a new home cinema system, pretty much configured everything except for the speaker cables.

After already spent a fortune on the above equipment, i really dont fancy paying another £500 for speaker cables. Because of the layout im using, im gonna need approx. 10M of cable for the the front speakers (does different lengths affect the performance? i.e I need: 1x 5M for Left, 1x 3M for the center, 1x 2M for Right) and for the rear speakers im gonna need approx. 14M (1x 8M, 1x 6M).

I want to get the QED X-TUBE 400 speaker cable, i'm not willing to spend £480 on speaker cables so i was wondering.... If i got the X-TUBE 400's for the front set of speakers and then went for a lower price cable say the QED Silver-Anniversary Bi-Wire (£7:50 a meter i think) for the rear speakers would this affect the overall performance ???

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated
    Thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What you are suggesting is overkill for your speakers and amp and I certainly wouldn't spend more than £3 per metre for the front three and probably less for the rears.

Cable Talk 3.1 or QED Silver Anniversary is more than enough. I wouldn't bother biwiring (didn't know that eggs were biwirable anyway) and I wouldn't worry too much about the different lengths although to be absolutely safe in your own mind you could always add an extra metre to the right hand front cable.

Edit - Having re-read your kit list I would spend the money that you have saved on a decent DVD player

3. edonkeyman

edonkeyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Ian,

Yep i am thinking about buying Denon 2900 DVD player and that's one of the reason why i dont want to splash out so much for speaker cables.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Decent interconnects will make more of a difference and although I am very sceptical over the claims of some accessory manufacturers but I did buy a mains cable from forum member Mark Grant for the Sky Box and found that it made a difference to the sound and picture quality