Different Sound Levels on NTL Pace Box

pcookie

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just had my cable STB replaced by NTL from a pace 1000 to a pace 4000 (to help with the IRDA/INFRARED problem many folk are having). The first thing I have noticed is that the sound level from the box through the tv is MUCH quieter than from the TV,s off air broadcast. I must admit the same thing happens with my DVD player, but not with my VCR. The all connect to the TV by scart (the DVD is connected by a decent gold plated one). So whats the deal? Is the TV at fault or the leads or the external kit. Any help would be appreciated.

pc

Most STB's will have an internal volume you can adjust to equal out the volume between other equipment heard via the tv.

I have a Pace STB from NTL and on the remote it has +/- buttons for the volume.

Thanks Bob, Ill try that tonight, although on my last box, pressing the volume button just resulted in an error message on the screen. Maybe the new box will solve that problem.

pc

To alter the internal volume on the NTL digital box you have to enter the engineers menu which involves pulling the power lead then reconnecting it whilst holding down a few buttons, I can't remember which at the moment so maybe someone else can help with this.

If you don't get any help in the next day or so I will have a dig around has I'm sure I've got it wrote down somewhere.

Thanks Guys,
I tried the volume control last night and no go, so if anyone can tell me how to hack into the engineers menu, great. Also while I'm on, I've posted a query on the remote control forum regarding the IR blaster sockets on the back of a pace 4000. Does any one know how I can use these to control the box via infrared?

As always, thanks again
pc

I know how to access the engineering screens (i work for ntl), but im not going to tell you.
Firstly becuase you could scew some settings up and secondly, you cannot adjust the volume from the screens.

jon

jon1800:

Sorry but if you work for NTL and know about the 4000 model then you can't know that much because I know for a fact that the internal volume can be altered in the engineers menu because I did the very same thing on my box has the sound was very quite both on scart and on RF. You can't screw things up unless you start altering things you don't understand and although I know some people would do that most wouldn't but I do understand your concern about it.

pcookie:

I will try to either dig out or regain access to engineers menu myself over the weekend, it can't be that hard has I managed it last time. I'm quite busy this weekend but I will try. I will also tell you which setting to alter because if I remember correctly its not just called volume but it is pretty easy to spot.

Im refering to the 4001 model we use in the north east buisness unit, the 4000 model may differ.

To access the eng. screens:-

remove power from rear of box for a few seconds.
plug power back in and hold down the UP and DOWN buttons on the front panel untill the engineering screen appears.
navigate with the front panel buttons.

"you aint seen me right";)

jon

The setting you want is called "volume control" and is on page 3 or 4, just change it to +10.

;)

Thanks guys,
I'll let you know how I get on.

cookie

Thank you to all concerned. Went into the installer sub menus and adjusted the volume up to +10. Could have done with it even higher, but thats the limit.
Thanks again.
cookie

No problem, glad to help:)

I know what you mean I could have done with it a bit higher as well.

Hi there i have a pace 2001 ntl and the volume isnt coming through,checked scart lead etc.. i think i need an engineers code to get into the volume set up menu,i have noticed when i press the mute button on the ntl remote i can hear the volume barely when i practically have my ear next to the speaker!
It was working fine last night however today is the first time its done this,can you please help?

[email protected] - my e mail address

Thanks asif

This sounds more like a scart lead problem to me, check your scarts and let us know the outcome :cool:

Mmm talk about reviving old post, the last reply before yours was 4 years ago :D

Hi there thanks for your prompt reply, i have checked the scart lead,even changed it with the one i use in my bedroom,im sure its defi a problem with my pace box.
I can get all my channels up like the way there meant to be,however its the sound i am unable to get? I have even tried an rf cable linked from the box direct to my television,still no joy?
What i have noticed and find very strange is that on my ntl remote when i press the mute button i can barely here the sound from my tv,my ear is practically sitting on my tv speaker to hear this sound!
The other thing i have noticed is that when i remove the scart lead from the tv slot on the back of the pace box and insert it into the video scart socket very slowly the sound comes through the tv speakers like the way it should for roughly 1 second then its away?
Yet i have the scart lead direct from the pace box to the television,nothing else is set up?Ie no video,no dvd etc..
Can you help?
Regards Asif

The volume on the pace remote is now directly connected to the volume in the engineers menu so there isn't anything you can do in the engineers menu that you can't do on the remote to do with the volume. I know it sounds silly but have you checked that the volume on the pace remote is up to about 7 or 8?

Hi there i have checked the volume on my ntl remote and i have it set to volume 8, even had it up to volume 10! I have even tried with my television remote highest volume it goes which is up to volume 99!
If you have any other suggestions please let me know?
I have also got intouch with a few electrical repair shops who have advised me to bring it in so they can have a look? One guy said to me over the phone it sounds as though the actual scart which is built in is nackered?
I dont know if he will be able to change it to one that works?

Regards Asif

It really does sound like a scart fault which is why I suggested checking that first. The only thing that would suggest something else is that you have said you tried connecting with RF and got the same problem. Can I ask, when you connected with RF, did you disconnect the scart so as to completely eliminated it from the equation? If not then I would try that before going to any engineer. Also have you tried plugging the scart into the other socket on the Pace box if it is a model with 2? Lastly have you tried plugging another piece of equipment (e.g. DVD player) into the same socket on the TV using the same scart lead?

Let me know how you get on.

Hi there ive tried everything uve mentioned,as far as i goes with the rf cable i did try it both ways,with the scart and without,with the scart plugged in theres no change,without the scart i cant seem to tune it in?
Yes ive even tried the same scart lead with the dvd player and it works fine?

Regards Asif

Hi there firstly i would like to thank you ever so much for your time and patience with me! I was sitting thinking about what you said about the RF cable! I had tried the RF cable last night however i must admit im very very impatient! Any way i put the RF cable in again and pressed channel 0 on my television remote and then pressed the menu button from where i entered into the tune in section,message appeared saying tuning please wait...
At this point after roughly 3 min i get impatient,crack up and start to disconnect RF cable wire saying to myself well that dosent seem to work,I pressed the tune in and went into the kitchen to make a tea for myself and a coffee for my wife,went into the bedroom sat down gave my wife her coffee,listening to her gabing away on the phone to her aunt!
Must have been a good 5 min or maby even more and i heard the cartoons very loud coming from the living room! I couldnt believe it dashed into the living room and saw for my self! Hey its working! Stored the channel straight away. Turned tv off and on to make sure it was still working! Pulled the scart lead out and its now running off the RF cable wire!

Regards Asif!

PS Thanks ever so much for taking an interest! Would buy you a pint mate if you were up my way!

Glad you got it sorted I did just post to suggest you try the RF again without the scart but you beat me to it so I've now edited the post. So its defo a dodgy scart socket it would seem, if you were anywhere close to me I would offer to have a look to see if it was just a dry joint that I could re-solder. :smashin: :cool:

Hi there got your reply,was glued to the television as i appreciate it so much now,beats trying to lip read? lol!
Im so glad this website is here and am gratefull for your advice as i dont really know that much if you know what i mean? Just the basics!
Just glad i didnt take it into a repair shop were i would have likely been charged for the repair etc..

Regards Asif

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom