Different Slant on PS3 Vs competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkEntity

This isnt supposed to be a flame thread, but it was just a funny thread that was posted somewhere else...showing the difference between PS3, wii and 360 during launch etc

Edit :- there may be abusive phrases/profanity within this link, please dont read if you find that language offence.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/

TwoJs

Distinguished Member
lmao, excellent ill pop off down my local argos on my bank holiday to take a snap, i think not !! :rotfl:

tscotsman

i guess it shows the real picture that the launch was a disaster. Sony should accept that the price is too high and there isnt enough games to interest customers. Price should be dropped immediately to be in line with US/JAP prices.

So glad i wasnt stupid enough to pay £425 for it as its just not worth it. Got my 20gb ps3 for 250.

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
Largest console launch ever... 600,000 sold in europe in the first few days and that's supposed to be a disaster? Damn I bet Sony are hoping for more disasters like that.

ukresistance is a spoof site so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

almightygoodgod

from a neutral perspective (i have a ps3 and a 360 and love them both) surely this overstocking of the main retailers is a good thing for them.

retailers have to shift their stock... reduce prices/offer great bundles... more households have a PS3... more software sold and more word of mouth

i guess it shows the real picture that the launch was a disaster. Sony should accept that the price is too high and there isnt enough games to interest customers. Price should be dropped immediately to be in line with US/JAP prices.

So glad i wasnt stupid enough to pay £425 for it as its just not worth it. Got my 20gb ps3 for 250.

don't you think calling people stupid is a bit stupid?? who are you to judge whether I was stupid buying a 60gb uk model on launch day for £425? i know that mine's got wireless, and a big enough harddrive in it to fit lots of hd trailers, music, video, and game demos. and it's a uk model, so I can play my entire collection of region 2 dvds on it, and an upcoming catalog of region B blurays without hassle. i can play uk games online on uk servers without any wires and minimal set up :smashin: if that makes me stupid... :suicide:

almightygoodgod

I fail to see how it was that much of a disaster for sony, more of a disaster for argos and those ebay sellers.

I got mine for £380 from virgin with my virgin card, I think £130 is worth the extra for the larger hard drive (I'm already over 20GB!) and the extra features. not to mention the knowledge that if mine breaks I'll be straight down virgin for a replacement.

oh, and the majority of blu-rays are region free anyway...

S

SquintingBadger

The Sony launch was most certainly not a disaster. Nintendo's launch, however, was. Not a single console in stock anywhere, but getting hold of a PS3 is easy - and I would say reasonably priced.

AQU4RIUS

Novice Member
that site is quite pathetic really, its supposed to be sarcastic and ironic.

but it just screams of childish fanboyism.

Kahled

Novice Member
Better and more ambitious than the SDF 'campaign', not as good/funny as the This Is Waiting 'campaign'.

Stick a good few facts in and mix it all around with slanted commentary... think the ones behind that have definately got a future in either politics or journalism.

iddqd

Novice Member
Plenty of stock does not equal disaster, especially when the opening week was record breaking sales.

UKResistance is funny, but just that, shouldn't be looked at anymore than a spoof site. Problem is sites like Joystiq/Kotaku then go on and post about it.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
I'd much rather a console that's supposed to be available WAS actually available, so i fail to see how this can be a bad thing.
Secondly, even if you don't like the price (which i don't) surely you would rather pay the rrp, rather than some greedy middle man looking to make a quick profit because of console shortages.
At least with so much stock left, the consumer has a real choice in the matter.

tscotsman

my point was that at £425 its a ridiculous price point compared to other regions. so therefore it stands to reason its not worth that amount. I mean even the 60gb one in Hongkong is only £280 which is an unbelievable difference in price.

Already price reductions are starting to happen, i see a few stores are selling them for £399 with a bluray and hdmi lead

iddqd

Novice Member
Its like that with everything though, i'd imagine the 360 Elite will be £349 when it arrives over here, extortionate compared to the import prices, and for what it is.

The Gooner

Novice Member
Record sales of any console cant really be seen as a disaster, having not pre ordered one Im glad sony flooded the market and I was able to wlk into argos and walk out with one on launch day.

Must say it has been amusing watchng ebay though, seen some asking £800 buy it now, serves them right hoping to buy up stock just to make quick killing. Im all for free enterprise but not robbery.

As for price it isnt a bad deal really when you look at what you get for money. Compare it to any blue ray player or console with wireless and HD player and I think priced into the market straight away. As for other countrys getting it cheaper take of VAT and your looking around £360ish , so is it sony or gvnt.

We make petrol here and export to america, it is sold there for less than $3 a GALLON we pay 90p a LITRE thats about $7 a gallon,

Evrything is dearer in UK Fact im afraid.

DarkEntity

The point of this thread was to see the 2 different view points.

1) PS3 was a disaster loads of consoles in shops not selling
Or
2) PS3 stock means anyone who has £500 for a games machine will get one.

alfaevans

Simple maths, if retailers believed they could keep selling at the higher price then they would.

Fact is there's so much competition and so many units around that retailers need to shift them. Only problem being so do their competitors!

As for paying over the odds then yes we always get stung compared to a lot of other countries. Fact. :cool:

:)

prvjoker

that site is quite pathetic really, its supposed to be sarcastic and ironic.

but it just screams of childish fanboyism.

lol mate I love my PS3 but you need to get a sense of humour transplant, as this site is a good laugh compared to the usual "PS3 sucks" crap, at least he's making an effort with his ww1 spoof.

AQU4RIUS

Novice Member
dont get me wrong, ive got a sense of humour, and to fair the first article i read was actually funny.

but after the 5th or 6th ps3 bashing article it got very tired quickly.

andytabor

Novice Member
uk resistance is only meant to be taken as a joke, whether that joke is to your taste or note is another matter.

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
The Sony launch was most certainly not a disaster. Nintendo's launch, however, was. Not a single console in stock anywhere, but getting hold of a PS3 is easy - and I would say reasonably priced.

An over stated point of view - Nintendo did not mess up its launch, it merely did not have enough consoles because of demand.

Not enough consoles does not mean a launch failure - the oposite in fact - mainly down to demand and hype boosting a week or so before.

Tony Hoyle

Novice Member
For nintendo the continued lack of wiis *does* mean a failure. They failed to estimate demand correctly and continue to fail to do so. Someone screwed up *really* badly. How many sales have they lost because you still can't buy a wii? I expect people have been fired already over it. By this point they should be available in all stores, and they're not.

Sony made the opposite mistake - they overestimated demand by about 25%. Still a screwup but from their point of view a far less costly one, since that batch is pretty much all sold by now based on the post-release sales figures. PS3 hasn't been out long enough to judge the long term success of their launch.

Any company aims to predict demand within a few %. Getting to that point is successful. Anything else is failure.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Surely we can all agree that, given both the Wii and PS3 sold in good amounts, neither was in any way a disaster?
Think back to the original Xbox launch. N-gage anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett