1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different size, front and rear, for surround music?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stevie S, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning on a 5.1 speaker system comprising REL quake sub, the larger Dynaudio centre speaker, and four dynaudio audience 42s. I've heard this set up courtesy of Audio-T in Basingstoke and I'm impressed with the sound for cinema, dvd-audio and stereo.

However, I was wondering if I am likely to hear a significant difference with some larger, floorstanding dynaudios - in particular, for stereo audio listening. The Audio-T guy thinks it's more important that the fronts and rears are balanced, so is suggesting I stick with the 42s all round - especially since I will be listening to some dvd-a and sacd stuff. If anyone has any other experience or advice, I'd appreciate it.

thanks!
    Stevie

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dubbing Mixer or Gambit or another Dynaudio owner would be the best person to answer your question in detail but whilst it is undoubtedly beneficial to have the front and rear speakers tonally similar it is nowhere near as important as the front three.

Whilst multi channel music uses all five main speakers, the rear ones should be mainly for ambience and to expand the soundstage as you don't want to be sitting on the stage with the band / orchestra.

My own setup has 75% of the cost spent on the front three (M&K) with the rears coming from a tonally similar but cheaper range.

I am not a fan of the REL Quake and suggest that before you make your mind up you have a listen to anything from the MJ Acoustics range, similar in price and size but superior in performance (IMO of course)

3. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's kinda what I thought... if any dynaudio owners out there pick this up and would like to offer advice, that would be great.

Also, thanks for the advice on the REL quake alternatives. This is not a big room (15' 7" by 12'10" narrowing to 10'), so I don't want anything mega in terms of low end, but I am planning a second audition and will ask to hear some sub alternatives while I'm there. Thanks again.
    Stevie

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Stevie,

See the e-mail I sent you, but as a generality I entirely agree with Ian. The rears should be mainly for ambience and you should spend the bulk of the speaker budget on the front three. I think you should also consider the Dynaudio professional range unless cabinet finish is more important than sound. Compared with the hi-fi range they are an absolute steal! They may be too accurate for some people who prefer a more 'tailored' sound but, for the money, I think they rock.

DM

5. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, DM. I think I will definitely have a listen to some 62s as an alternative for the fronts. Are the professional ones you refer to the contour or confidence range? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

S

6. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Neither. They are the ones known just by numbers, e.g. BM15, BM5, BM6, M1 etc. THese will only be available via pro-audio or music retailers. Well worth a listen though.

7. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Stevie,

I'm currently running the following speakers in a 5m x 5.5m room.

Fronts: Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II (Floorstanders)
    Centre: Dynaudio Audience C122
    Rears: Dynaudio Audience 40 (on Mission Stance stands)
    Sub: MJ Acoustics Reference 150

I'm now running all speakers small and using the sub to supply bass as previously I found too much bass when using the Contours alone (boom caused by room nodes). I'm very happy with the sound now and all the speakers integrate very well tonally. I crossover at 60 Hz for Music and 80 Hz for Movies (my processor allows individual settings).

I bought my main speakers before I got my sub. If I could go back and change anything, I think in my current room, I would either have gone for stand mounted speakers all round or at least smaller floorstanders with front facing ports.

I have heard many combinations of Dynaudio models and I think you will be delighted whichever you choose. My choice would be 62's on the Front, 42C on the centre and 42W's on the rear. For a sub, I would recommend an MJA Ref100 or 150 (very tight bass for both music and movies).

Finally, I didn't see you mention what amp you had. Be warned that Dynaudios are somewhat difficult to drive and require fast amps with lots of current drive capability. It took me a while to find suitable amps (I'm using a Myryad MA240/MA360 combination).

Long message, but hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

8. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Steve - this is really useful. Sounds like your room dimensions are not that different to mine, though squarer.

I think I will try what you suggest with Audio-T, who were happy to set up another audition for me. Is there any reason why you would go for the 42C rather than the 112C? It was the 112C that I heard last week, which Adrian at Audio-T reckoned was much more accurate for dialogue etc. Am I right in thinking that 42Ws are different from 42s only in their physical depth?

Thanks for recommendation on subs, too. I think I need to try out a few, though I am not looking for anything really earth-trembling.

Receiverwise, I am thinking Denon AVR3803, and a Denon DVD2900 universal player. Hope those will match OK with dynaudios...

thanks again
    best
    Stevie

9. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Stevie,

Are you sure of the model 112C? Do you mean the 122C?

A lot depends on where you will place the speakers in the room. If you can get them at least 50 cm away from the back wall and side wall, then the rear ported designs (122C and 42) will be OK. If you will place them less than 50 cm from side or rear wall, then the front ported designs will be better (42C, 42W, 62, 72, etc). I would strongly recommend that you do not consider using the foam bungs in the ports. It kills the sound - the soundstage collapses and they sound really thin!

The 42 and 42W are essentially the same speaker. The 42 is rear ported and the 42W is front ported. The dimensions of each are slightly different, but the 42W is designed for closer proximity to a wall, and so tends to be a better design for use as rear surrounds. The 42C is voiced similarly, so the tonal match should be good across the front 3.

Having said that, to be honest I haven't heard the 42C, so I'm guessing that it should be a good fit. I have heard the 42W, 42, 52, 62, 72, 82 and 122C and they all sound good.

The Denon 3803 may be OK to drive them, but I haven't heard it, so can't really comment.

As for a sub, I also didn't want anything particularly earth trembling - just fast, accurate and musical low bass. I think you might find the MJA Ref 100 suitable. To my ears, it much, much better than the REL Quake at only a small price price premium.

Cheers,

Steve