Different signal strengths

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by IanK, Dec 27, 2002.

1. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Sony KD32DX100 with software version number r1.03 & loader v1.01.

On BBC1/2 & ITV the signal strength shows about 90-95% however on the other channels The Hits etc. it shows about 20% and the picture is heavily pixelated. I'm guessing that some channels are broadcast at higher powers ? Do I need a new aerial ?

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked that your existing aerial is suitable for the range of frequencies used in your area? If you haven't or can't then you probably need a new aerial of the correct type.

Also, if you haven't fitted so-called "digital" cable (i.e. double-shielded copper-on-copper coaxial cable such as H109 or CT100) in one continuous unbroken run from aerial to Digibox, then you can expect problems.

I read info about this at the SatCure web site.

Fman

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    The radiated power does differ from multiplex to multiplex. However, you may be in the rare situation where your major channels are the only ones being broadcast from your usual transitter, and the minor ones you are picking up from a different transmitter - in which case the overall signal may be weaker and/or your aerial may be of the wrong type and/or pointing the wrong way.

Details of the transmitted signals, their power, and the most suitable type and polarisation of the ideal aerial can be obtained here:

http://www.itc.org.uk/tv_in_your_area/INDEX.asp

4. IanK

IanK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply gents. With your help it appears I'm not pointing at the correct transmitter. The one I am pointing at doesn't have 'The Hits' etc. I'm impressed I'm picking them up from another transmitter as it about 90 degrees out, a different aerial type and different polarisation !!