Different options for True-HD / DD+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Batdog, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Hi just got my HD-E1, extremely pleased, just as good as I'd hoped it would be.

I'm currently listening through optical to 1.5mb DTS and it sounds just fine to me. Thinking about the future however I may wish to experience these new sound formats, and I understand that the only option with the HD-E1 is to let the player decode the signal and output it via HDMI to an amplifier that can accept linear PCM via HDMI.

I understand that other options to utilise these new sound formats are to output via 5.1 analogue outputs as is an option on the HD-XE1, or to output via HDMI 1.3 (again, like on the HD-XE1) into an amp that can decode these sound formats (no such amps yet available I understand?).

I obviously would only have the first option available to me, but I was just wondering whether any of these 3 methods is inherantly better than the others? I can sort of remember reading something about a 'jitter' that can affect sound signals sent through HDMI, can anybody enlighten me on this?

One last thing, to save me researching this for about the next month, can anybody offer a rough guide as to how much I would expect to spend on a reasonable amp that can accept linear PCM via HDMI? Is it worth getting a 7.1 amp? And what is a benchmark figure for a good set of speakers?

Thank y'all!!!

2. mac_monkey

mac_monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    There is a few mentions of HDMI and jitter on the arcam users forum. Their new flagship AVR 350 receiver doesnt output audio over HDMI as Arcam believe its not a good enough audio connection. I'd be interested in this too.

3. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest guys,works absolutley fine on mine through hdmi.No jitter at all.I run dolby true HD and dolby digital + and have never experinced it.My amp automatically goes into multichannel mode ,then once started it quickly shows the 96khz then back to multichannel.Plays beautifully.I find the surrounds play a much greate role.:thumbsup:

Maybe for the Arcam, no offence, but that will have to be the biggest load of rubbish coming from Arcam.I've not had a problem running through Hdmi,especially the audio.Maybe there is a fault with that particular unit and Arcam is just saying that to cover there back.:suicide:

The first one is just as good, from what I've read many members are saying that it is best for the player to decode the audio.Correct me if im wrong but I do remeber some saying that Dolby even agrees that it's better from the player to decode.There are some members in the last quote who are much more knowledgable than me, who can help you on that one.
    But for Hdmi jitter, never exprienced it through Hd.

4. bboy-mass

bboy-mass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Dont listen to anyone saying theres no amps available that support DD+ or True Hd. May Yamaha RX-V1600 plays them both with ease. And when Tosh release a patch for DTS-HD the E1 will pass that onto the Yammy as well:thumbsup:

R.
    Mas

5. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry! it was late what I was meant to say I run dolby true HD and dolby digital + and have experinced it.
    To me, like I wrote before I find the surrounds play a much greater role.

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Your Yamaha, like my Pioneer, plays the decoded DD+ and TrueHD as PCM via the HDMI v1.1 connection. Amps having the required decoders and HDMI v1.3 connections will be available later this year.

Steve

7. city fan

city fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi guys, whilst on this subject could you just confirm that running analogue componant from the XE1 into the inputs in my Marantz will give me the TrueHD sound, the same is if I'd got a new amp that accepted the new 1.3 HDMI input. (From what I've read here I think this is correct)

Thanks....

8. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi, I have a Yamaha Z9. I will get DD+ & Dolby HD via the analogue audio inputs, won't I?
    Ta, Neil

9. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes:) But you will need the XE1 for the 5.1 analogue audio outputs.

10. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What should i set the audio options in the e1 to. Should i just leave it at default in order to get true hd over hdmi or do i need to change any of the options? Thanks

11. Adam_uk

Adam_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    This may be a very stupid question but are True HD/ DD+ 5.1 formats, 6.1, 7.1?

I dont think my girlfriend will go for a 9.1 system!

12. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    I rather think Arcam know what they are talking about, and it would probably be very instructive to try and understand why they take that position. If you are truly interested in the implications of running TrueHD or DTS-HD over HDMI, then please say so, and you might learn something.
    Well, yes you must have already, but I guess you didn't actually realise it. Please don't play something down because you don't appreciate the reasons for what they are doing. Do you have a player with Denon Link by any chance - there is a big clue there?

regards, Nick