1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

different dvd regions. different sound or PQ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by davidagodfrey, Sep 30, 2005.

1. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading the posting listing people's fave dvd's and some have specified different regions.

Is it possible to get different sound or picture quality on the same dvd but made for a different region?

Thanks.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Oh yes. Definitely.

First up - if one release is NTSC and another is PAL then they have to have been separately mastered and differences can arise.

Second - even comparing a PAL release (say) to another PAL release - they may in fact be identical or they may be wholly different. Ditto NTSC cf. NTSC.

Even within region - there can be differences (say, between one R2 European country and another).

See www.dvdcompare.net. Whilst that site doesn't normally evaluate picture quality, you can see differences in Studio, or disc content (etc.) any of which might indicate a different master, and hence a difference in PQ or SQ.

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Different content as well, look at these two examples

**DOH! removed by me**

although these two are a bit extreme.
    (sorry forgot I'm not allowed to link to other forums so i'll give a brief description of the two example that had pictures.)

"Jaws 30th ALE" US r1/UK r2, totally different selection of sound tracks, and different extras

"Chato's Land" US r1/UK r2/German r2, scenes shot two different ways for US and Euro versons, some cuts to US version, different cuts to UK version, no cuts to German version.

4. magicmushrooms

magicmushrooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    definitely yes. Different regions can have different soundtracks, different cuts, different extras and sometimes they are virtually identical. Kill Bill volume 1 Japanese region 2 for instance has a different cut and a few more extras. The UK version of Leon is drastically different from the international version/director's cut or whatever version I have is called.