Different DVD players presenting different picture size...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davegtt, Mar 22, 2005.

1. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, its something we've only noticed recently, we bought a Panasonic Viera Plasma 37" love it to bits but somethings not quite right when watching DVD's we have 3 DVD players (sort off, will explain) the main 1 is just a goodmans (yeah I know ;) ) with 5.1 surround sound built in, this presents a picture on the telly filling MOST (not all) of the screen, leaving black bars at the top and bottom but we can easily live with them cause they aint great, I understand this is the format size the DVD was created in. fine. the DVD player doesnt always work though the odd time it gets hot and the picture goes black and white etc and its damn annoying soooo, we took DVD player number 2 downstairs (its what we have in the bedroom) its only a cheapo £30-£40 1 from asda, does the trick on the 4:3 telly upstairs no problems, BUT connect it too the plasma and the picture fills barely half of the screen, using the same DVD too, why is this? purely cause its a cheap DVD player maybe? problem is woman cant stand is so I have to zoom in which loses picture quality obviously so Im unhappy. Anyhow tonight we watched the incredibles and I thought Id give DVD player number 3 a chance (the playstation2) great picture is like DVD player 1 and fills most of the screen.

Can anyone explain whats going on? is it the DVD players just cr@p? If I spent £200 on a "good" DVD player would it fill the screen completely and have no black bars? what are other peoples results/findings?

Very interested

TIA

Dave

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    it may be that player number 2, the one you have to zoom in on, may need to be set to anamorphic wide mode in its user settings. this will then present the picture to the plasma in a stretched form from top to bottom. the plasma will then auto select wide mode and display the picture in its correct format. you will still have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen , but you will not have to zoom in on the picture.

3. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thanks for the feedback :) unfortuately I dont see any options to change any settings. strange, maybe I'll have to stick it back in the bedroom and forget about DVD player 2

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    it is possible that the player does not have this option, but I would be very supprised. most players even the cheap supermarket ones have options in the user menu to set the picture to 16:9 wide mode/ wide/ anamorphic/ all meaning the same but maybe worded slightly differently.

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    first, remember that you have a 16:9 set, whereas films are often in 2.35:1 ratio, so you will still get black bars if you want to maintain the correct perspectives.

Second, you need to set up your DVD to output the right format. There may be all manner of 4:3, letterbox, P&S, 16:9, anamorphic settings.

Third, you need to make sure your TV is switching to the appropriate mode. Mine has a mutitude of options such as 4:3, wide, 15:9, 16:9, letterbox, stretch, zoom, etc, etc. Automatic switching to the appropriate mode isnt guaranteed.

Understand all three of these and you should be able to get the right picture