1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different cables....do they make a difference???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Evil_Homer, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to all this stuff, I've just bought a HD LCD TV and I'm still using my old scart cables from years ago.

My question is do the super dooper cables make that much of a difference the the picture quality? If so, can someone please point me in the right direction as to which ones I need, I have Xbox, PS2, Progressive scan DVD and SKY.

Many Thanks

2. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    I think the folks who sell super dooper cables at super dooper prices will tell you that they make a difference.....but if you already have a cracking picture I doubt you would notice any difference (apart from not being able to afford a pint) :cool:

The best way to solve it would be to try before you buy....a good HIFI shop may let you 'borrow' one or find a mate who has some. To be honest this topic has come up before and I do remember a post from someone who bought the said expensive cables and he noticed no difference, nada, zip, nothing at all :eek:

Pete.

3. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I would say that, to a point, more expensive cables do make a difference. I'd say maybe £15-20 on a SCART cable max. Argos were selling a really nice Hitachi SCART cable a while back, and it's definitely better than the cheaper no-name cables out there.

As for types of cables, it makes a huge difference. Unless you're on a CRT, use Component cables (red/green/blue/red/white) wherever possible instead of SCART, for example. HDMI/DVI should be better than component, but it's not always the case.

4. tosh hunter

tosh hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same spot....Bought a 32wl56 and connected it to ntl digital with my age old jvc scart plug..........

I then went out to purchase a 30 quid scart lead hoping to see a big change in pq........i was horrified to see an even worse picture............

i too am investigating how to improve my pq......the images are very blurry and crawl when you look closely at them.......

any advice is welcome :confused:

5. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Dot-crawl, if it wasn't eliminated by an expensive lead, is most likely something caused by your television - flat-panel displays don't handle RGB SCART very well unfortunately.

As for a "soft" or "blurry" picture, that's because you're viewing SD content on a HD panel. It basically has to "stretch" 720x576 to (roughly) 1280x720.

Unless you are actually going to be using HD content, I would not recommend buying a HDTV, as SD image quality will suffer.

6. tosh hunter

tosh hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are no HD broadcasts until late next year.....(and they will be expensive- Sky)

So doesnt everyone buy HD Tv's to view SD, or have i missed something???

I love the look of my lcd tv but was surprised by the poor pq compared to a 10 year old tosh crt......i knew there may be some difference but am quite surprised.............

hmmmmmmmmmmm..... :confused:

7. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Excuse me for being dumb - what is 'SD'?

8. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I believe there have been some Satellite HD broadcasts (not Sky) for a year or so now.
    SkyHD is coming early next year, but will only have six channels to begin with.
    There are HD WMV movies on sale right now, D-VHS, which has been around for quite some time, and HD-DVD / BluRay will be coming early next year.

Many people download American television shows in HD quality (I don't personally) and play them through a Home-Theatre PC, or play games via their PC at HD resolutions.

Xbox 360 will be out in just over five weeks time, and all games will support 720p, and PS3 is due out spring next year, and will be offering 720p as well as the possibility of 1080p games.

If all you want is a television to display regular broadcasts, it makes no sense to buy a HDTV, in my opinion. If that is the case I would be looking at a Sharp P50 series LCD, or sticking with CRT.

See this post for more detail into why SD doesn't look so hot on HDTVs.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2071441&postcount=4

The fact that current television broadcasts are such poor quality doesn't help things at all either. (Digital TV, in the UK at least, has ridiculously low bitrates)

9. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that when watching SD TV the pq is very good, also the pq from SKY is also very good, but the best is from the DTV build into the box, obviously because there are no cables involved. My only disappointment was the pq from the PS2 and Xbox, both have the standard leads.

10. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rencently had to make the same call, expensive leads or crappy standard efforts. Decided in the end to only use new large TV with good quality Profigold cables for HDMI and Scart.

Got to say the quality and weight of the things feels fantastic. I also think it has made the best of a bad picture source (SD broadcasts just don't scale very well and thats the basic problem).

DVI/HDMI is a different matter. These are digital sources so to some extent they have tech to get around low level interference, however its all relative so a well shielded cable will cause fewer faults than a badly shielded cable.

Overall, do what the mags say. Spend 5-10% of your TV budget on decent cables. All you have to lose is a little bit of cash and some minor picture quality annoyances.

11. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a nice scart from play.com £17.99 (Thor) i think it was

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Not all plasmas, for example, have a HD resolution and now there's the option of getting the new Sharp P50 series LCDs which, being optimised specifically for PAL transmissions in mind, give a superior rendition of SD and DVD pictures.

13. alanwalton

alanwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It all depends on the quality of the old cables.If there are not for example well screen.
    I had problems with interference ,then I bought better cables.

14. roddersmg

roddersmg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I can't agree with your RGB statement. On my Sharp P50 I use a mid price, approx £25.00 cable with no problems and excellent PQ. Cannot fault the P50 with a £50.00 Sagem Freeview box, Freeview is a much, much better picture. I believe there is NO BETTER LCD arround at the moment for SD Standard Definition broadcasts.

15. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    to a degree it's not so much the cables as the quality of the picture your watching.some sky and european digital pictures are superb.then you go to the next channel and the quality is terrible.on the whole the scart's out the box are normally rubbish.imho i buy about middle of the range cables and i dont have a problem.at the end of the day you are the best judge of a good picture.

16. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    If this is really what "the magazines" say, they are clearly talking out of their collective arses.

Think about it. Is someone spending £2k on a display really going to benefit from spending an additional £100 to £200 on a cable with which to connect it? Where is the evidence? Or are these the same magazines which are credulous enough to simply accept at face value the claims made by manufacturers of "exotic" cables?

17. lennon

lennon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Apologies if you have read this similar post in the hitachi thread but it seems to me it may be relevant to this discussion.

Yesterday I plugged up my new LCD Hitachi to my xbox and sky + setup. On my old CRT I got RGB signal to the TV from the same scart cable I am using now on the LCD yet the signal reports back that it is composite.

I believe I spent about £12 on the current cable but it seemed to handle RGB ok on the old TV. Is there a reason for this? I would imagine I am going to better off spending out on a new cable but how much should one spend?

18. Shonte

Shonte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a decent scart lead. It improved the picture quality on my 27wl56 greatly.

19. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    There's probably a menu option on your LCD to set the input to RGB. On a lot of LCDs you have to change the default setting to RGB on both the LCD and set top box.

20. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crikey. now thats cynical. bet you think we never landed on the moon either.

I'm sure the mags run signals through these cables and use some form of equipment to measure the degredation through the cable length. They also probably use their eyes and look fore flaws in challenging conditions like when there is a source of interference close by.

Try running your conspiracy/corruption theory past the Consumers Association (who own some of these mags we are talking about) and see what they say.

21. lennon

lennon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers I will have a look tonight. My sky box is set to RGB as it was working before but I dont know about the LCD. The reason I thought it might have been the cable was that the xbox works fine and picks up a RGB signal when you switch it on but the Sky signal doesnt.

22. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Lennon
    Are you using your Sky remote to control the LCD
    Pressing "TV" on the SKY remote turns off RGB from the SKY box
    Pressing "SKY" on the SKY remote turns RGB back on.

There are lots of peeps thinking they are watching RGB when they are actually watching Composite.
    (hence the many "my new SCART cable really works well" threads)

23. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from samsung website...

When connected to a Set Top Box, DVD player or DTV, HDMI allows for 100% flawless transmission of both visual and audio digital signals. With the built-in application of the most up-to-date HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection), all contents within the unit are protected, and compatibility with digital devices of the future is guaranteed.

So HDMI is strongest signal bar none.

24. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I know much about this stuff but I've read that my Samsung LE32R51BD only has one RGB socket which is Ext 1 on the TV. The other is normal scart...what ever that is!

25. buzzvinny

buzzvinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few people have said by spending more on scarts leads they have increases the PQ on there LCD'S, any chance of having few names of the leads brought and how much and where from. Cheers

26. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You could check on the cables forum but cables from Ixos, QED and Supra come recommended. I've got my Sky+ box connected via a Supra FS scart that I bought for around £30 and I have noticed the difference both in sound and vision, and it's not because I suddenly found out that I was using RGB either :rolleyes:

28. lennon

lennon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah im going to play with that tonight to test as well although Im pretty sure the hitachi has 2 RGB scart sockets.

As for the Sky remote option. Not sure as far as I know my sky remote doesnt work with the TV yet as I havent configured. If all else fails a a mate of mine is going to lend me his cable to test to see if that makes it any better so I will let you know if it does and if so what make and cost.

29. Evil_Homer

Evil_Homer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

I have.

1 - Changed my SKY box to RGB out
    2 - Changed the SKY box pq to 16:9
    3 - Was looking around Homebase from home stuff!! Stumbled across a scart lead which claimed to be Digital protected....yadda,yadda,yadda....purchased said scart for £10! Picture quality between my old (15 years old) lead was marked compared to the new (cheap, I know you get what you pay for!).
    4 - Plugged my Xbox into Ext1 (RGB) and pq has improved quite dramatically!!
    5 - Moral of the story, if it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Anyway, I now have quality, ( I'm happy with it picture on everything!) :clap:

30. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    On the contrary, I am quite certain that we have. That's because I find the evidence in favour of a lunar landing convincing, and the counter-claims of the conspiracy theorists spurious.

Well that would be nice. But I think you'll find most reviewers favour the subjectivist approach to assessing cable quality, whereby they have a quick look at the picture (or a quick listen to the sound), unsullied by anything as vulgar as a properly controlled double-blind ABX test, then a longer look at the press release, and finally a good hard look at the price tag before setting down their thoughts.

Look, I've got this bridge in London I can sell you quite cheaply if you're interested...

Show me the source of the "5% to 10% of your display budget should be spent on cables" and I might well do that! I wouldn't be accusing them of being corrupt or involved in a conspiracy though. Merely of being incompetent.

Please note that I am not arguing against well constructed, properly screened cables sold at a realistic price. Your own choice of SCART cable elsewhere in this thread seems perfectly reasonable. But £200 on a SCART or component lead takes you into exotica territory, where I simply don't believe the claims made are supported by any evidence. You do realise it's possible to spend several hundred pounds on a replacement mains cable (i.e kettle lead) don't you?