Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Different cable length

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mrbrown66, Aug 12, 2003.

1. mrbrown66

mrbrown66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just a quick one, ive recently moved into a new room and my hi fi speakers cable length is currently 3 metres. This is now too short for one of my speakers new position. So I need to buy a new 4 metre cable.

Is it absolutely essential to have both speakers running with the same length of cable? (Ie 4 metres) Will I notice a difference if the cable on one channel is 1 metre longer than the other?

I want to avoid having to buy two new 4 metre cables.

Cheers,
    Jared

2. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Hi jared

I asked this a couple of months ago and was nicely advised by several forum members to do an archive search before asking questions.

They were right. This one comes up very often.

The upshot is, no, you don't have to worry about small differences in cable length. It only becomes an issue with very long runs. The big thing is to make sure the cable is the same to each speaker.

It's a lot more technical than this and if you do the search, you'll find some detailed stuff!

Peter

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Jared,

Just noticed that was your first post. Welcome to AvForums!

I did not mean to sound patronising. it's just that there are certain questions that get asked a lot on here and sometimes you might not get a response and wonder why.

There is a huge body of information available on the forum archives. If you look on the top right of the page, you'll see search button. Go there and type in some keywords. Filter your search by a specific forum if you like. You're bound to get links to several old threads discussing whatever you've searched on.

Be warned, you can spend days on here reading old threads and end up with your head going round in circles :rotfl:

Don't be afraid to ask any question you like, but it's always a good idea to search first as it's prpbably been answered before.

Again, welcome.

Peter

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    But just to offer a second opinion, it won't affect the sound quality in the slightest

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    As Ian says.....it won't be a problem,especially with such a small difference between the cable lengths...it may be an issue with one very short cable,and one very long...but otherwise...save the money!