Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Different audio levels on channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Likvid, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One thing that is really frustrating is the different audio levels the TV-channels send out....

Does it exist any product that you can connect from the digital audio output to the amplifier that auto adjust the audio level to the level you prefer?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    It would not be plausable for such a device to exist as it would be unable to tell if the sound is quiet because the on screen action is quiet (eg whispering or the 'suspense' scenes in horror movies) or when it is supposed to be loud (eg a big explosion or people screaming)

Some AVR amps have a 'night mode' which reduce the base and reduce the volume of 'loud bits' (reduces the dynamic range) - I dont know if you perminantely had one of these on night mode that it may reduce the variance between channels but you would always be lacking the base etc.

3. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No i don't have any night option in my amplifier....

It's very frustrating when you change channel and suddenly it's very high and you need to find the remote to lower it.

I can't remember this was a problem 15 years ago in the old analogue days.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    I have a similar problem with Sky 1 on NTL - it is much quieter than all the rest of the channels.

Whilst I have never heard of a solution nor can see how one could work post it being outputted from the digi-box I would be interested to hear if you do find a way round it.