• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Different accounts for Firefox?

Astraeus

Prominent Member
Hi,

I run XP on a single administrator account which works fine except for one thing - Firefox. Several people use this computer (my computer, so only ever periodically) and it has become a bundle of bookmarks, toolbar features etc. which I don't use. Is it possible to have an alternative account on Firefox so that when someone else uses it, their stuff isn't saved onto mine?

Hi,

I run XP on a single administrator account which works fine except for one thing - Firefox. Several people use this computer (my computer, so only ever periodically) and it has become a bundle of bookmarks, toolbar features etc. which I don't use. Is it possible to have an alternative account on Firefox so that when someone else uses it, their stuff isn't saved onto mine?

That's one of the reasons that you have 2 user profiles on the computer in the first place. :)

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Mrs Codehead, the kids and I all have separate user accounts on our main XP machine.

This means that they can set stupid colour schemes and desktop wallpapers, and bookmark whatever they like without cluttering up my clean desktop.

If you enable fast user switching, it's as simple as pressing Windows + 'L' to jump back to the user select screen (the current user is left logged on) and pick which account you want to use.

It doesn't take a monster of a machine to handle 3 simultaneously logged on accounts with quick and easy switching between them. Mine is an old 2Ghz Athlon with 1Gb RAM.

I have a separate admin account for setup/maintenance and everyone else (myself included) runs as a basic user. :thumbsup:

One gotcha with this is AntiVirus/Firewall, some older stuff cannot cope with being loaded three times. The better ones restrict themselves to a single instance.

HTH

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom