1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences with Mission's "i" speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Andy K, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Andy K

Andy K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    For my home theater setup, I'm currently using 4 x Mission M31's (actually 2 M31's and 2 M31i's) as my left/right/surround left/surround right. For my center, I'm actually using an old Mission center from a line that was discontinued probably in the late 90's/early 2000's (the 70c1).

I'm going to be replacing my current center with the matching center speaker that goes with the rest of them (the M3c2/M3c2i). From surfing and searching, I found that Mission in the past brought out "i" versions and this is now the case with the M3's.

I emailed Mission about the "i"'s and they said the tweeters in the "i"'s have been slightly modified by using different material resulting in a "sharper" sound. And their crossover networks have been slightly modified by using higher grade transitors. All this sounds dandy but the impression I got from the Mission rep was that any differences from the regular line and the "i"'s would be very subtle.

Can I get anyone's opinion who is familiar with these changes whether it be with this line or previous lines where they introduced "i"'s later down the line also? I contacted my local Mission store and the salesman said he's only got the regular M3c2 center. He contacted his Mission rep and the rep said he wasn't sure when the "newer" M3c2i's were going to arrive. I guess ideally I'd like to get the M3c2i. But if I have to wait around for a while just for a difference that's going to be slight or unnoticable at all, I'll be just as inclined then to pick up the regular M3c2.
    Thanks,
    Andy

2. missionman

missionman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

To put the record straight, the 'i' versions include revised crossover techniques which provide a more lively sounding midrange, together with internal cabling using Mission's OFC/LC design.
    Whilst an enthusiast new to the m3 designs should look for the improved versions. you will get a good match to your existing speakers using the regular m3c2, so go for it!

Mr Mission

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    It has certainly been Missions habit to introduce an 'i' version of their budget ranges within a year or so in recent times.

The 'i' generally has generally been mainly to improve the midrange of the speakers. This has normally been most noticable with the larger speakers with the greater number of drivers (eg M74, M34/M35)

Having a quick look at the internet there doesnt appear to be, as of yet, a significant differences in price between the 'i' and non-'i' versions and therefore you may as well get the improved version

4. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mission man
    Can you advise if Mission 780 speakers are tonally matched to M5DS?, also can you advise of options for centres which will also be a match, this can also include older superceded models
    thanks

5. missionman

missionman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

That would not be a perfect match - you really should be looking out for a pair of 78ds. However there is a running character of sound through all mission designs, so the m5ds would still provide credible surround performance with 780 at the front.
    There is no alternative to the 78c for the centre, though.

Missionman

6. Novi

Novi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya mission man..

need some help....I have a pair of Mission 781' s and am disappointed with their base. The base is very weak...there is no punch. I have a ms10 sub...but when listening to stero i'd like to be able to switch off the sub and enjoy just the two fronts..however the complete lack of bass is very disappointing.

Is there any advice that you can give me ??

7. simonali

simonali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks everyone for advice

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It's not just the "i" suffix that's been added to Mission models.

It used to be an "e" such as in the 700 series or the 77 series. Curiously, the update to the 77C became the 77C1 and 77C2. The 77C1 is still the best centre speaker I've ever heard. :)

10. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm looking to clear up the M3 "i" improvements. When I contacted Mission about upgrading my m34s to m34is (around seven months ago), I was told the improvements included a new crossover, internal wiring and tweeters. However, I have read elsewhere, that the improvements only include the new crossover and wiring. Missionman himself also made no mention of a new tweeter. Another reason for my doubts is because when I received my components, the receipt quoted the crossover being for the m34i whereas the tweeter was just labelled as for the m3 series.
    The reason I ask is because I've just bought a brand new m3c2 from ebay for a very reasonable £50 :thumbsup: . I want to upgrade it to "i" status but am unsure as to whether or not to get the tweeter too.
    Are Mission trying to make me buy a tweeter to just make a little extra money or is it really an improved model??
    Thanks in advance! :)

11. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267