1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ldoodle, Sep 12, 2004.

1. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the main differences between LCD's and Plasmas.

I've not been able to find a Plasma with a higher resolution than 1024x768! Does that mean that an 1280x768 LCD is better quality than a Plasma, or do Plasmas work differently (i'm thinking in terms of PC monitor resoultions).

I have very little knowledge of Plasma's, but i'm looking to get one, or an LCD.

Specifically, i'm looking at the Toshiba 32WL36 LCD or the Toshiba 42WP36 Plasma as they've got 2 RBG and 2 Component inputs, but the resolution on the LCD is much higher.

Does anyone have either of these that they can share any pros/cons, or have recommendations on other models with the same size/specifications as these two?

Thanks/...

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Do a search on the forums for 'Plasma v LCD' - this has been discussed at length on many occasions.

There are some people who will pick plasma over LCD any time and others who will do the opposite.

Screen resolution for TV viewing is not that important, as the incoming picture is 'scaled' by the panel for display purposes - it's not the same as on an LCD monitor where, if you have a screen with a native resolution of 1280*1024, any other resolution always looks 'fuzzy'. PAL is 576 lines but there are very few, if any, screens that have a resolution that matches PAL exactly.

HTH

John