1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences in S-vid and DV ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by adam*B, Mar 16, 2003.

1. adam*B

adam*B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Does anyone know the difference in picture quality between S-Vid and Digital ? I want to buy a DVD recorder to archive my camcorder footage. My camcorder has DV out so it would be possible to hook it up to a DVD recorder that has DV in...but looking at the players available means spending more.

If I go for say the Panasonic E-50 that has S-Vid in and want to send on the footage via DVD-R to friends etc will I notice a massive difference in Digital quality over S-Vid on a normal size TV?

Thanks in advance...

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I think the philips 890 has dv in for your camcorder , is it more expensive than the e-30 or is the e-30 better for editing?

3. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95

To be honest, no you wont notice any great difference at all. And I say that as someone who works and edits a lot of DV footage.

It would only really be necessary on a proffesional duplication level, not for recording home movies onto DVD for others to view. The quality will still be first rate.

Either way you look at it, your footage is still going onto an Mpeg 2 compressed DVD. And I think you'd be lot happier with the recording options available to you on the Panasonic models.