• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Differences in Dell laptops - Inspiron and Vostro?

drb5

Established Member
Ok i have hunted about and found 2 possibilities for my next laptop.

One is the Inspiron and the other the Vostro.

Both are 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 800MHz 4MB L2 Cache and have...
Vista home premium
1 years base warranty
17" widescreen WXGA+ 1440X900 TFT(Inspiron has Truelife)
3072MB 667MHz dual channel DDR2 SDRAM 1X1024 1X2048
250GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
256MB nVidia GeForce 8600M GT

The Inspiron comes in at £825 and the Vostro £827. I think i prefer the looks of the Vostro, but the Inspiron shows i would be saving £180 if i bought that, but only £20 with the Vostro.

I take it from that, the Inspiron would be more expensive usually than the Vostro, or is that rubbish and they are pretty much the exact same unit at the end of the day?

SteveO

Established Member
The Vostro range is primarily aimed at the business market and the Inspiron at the home end. However, Dell allows you to install a Home licence on either machine as it wants to allow users the choice of the silver/coloured Inspiron cases or the more business like black of the Vostro. I have an Inspiron 6000 (along with many other Dell products and I've not had any major problems other than a battery running out of juice and needing replaced - after 2 years) but if I had a choice to make again (which I will shortly), I'd go for the Vostro over the Inspiron as a Business machine is normally built a bit more robustly.

drb5

Established Member
The Inspiron is actually the 1720....dunno if they will make that model slimmer too?

I was thinking that too Steve-o, but after posting this thread, i done a bit more searching about and the Vostro sounds quite unstable, whereas the Inspiron is supposed to be more robust and better quality.

clayton

Established Member
No idea if the 1720 range is going to change @ all, & as steve says the Vostro range is aimed at the business market, i have orderd a 1520 from dell myself & should be here in about a week.

If you do decide to purchase a dell soon here is a discount voucher to use online.

Discount: 10%
Minimum Spend: £599.00
Promotional Code: Q3TCG81H5P8?BM
Expiry: 09/01/2008
Applies to: home systems only, all desktops & notebooks

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom