Differences between UK and US HD DVDs?

VirusKiller

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between UK and US HD DVDs?

1) It is simply that UK discs are released by the European "Region 2" distributor, but without region coding (at the moment).

2) Are both UK and US discs 24fps?

3) Has 25fps been included in either the HD DVD or BD spec?

4) Is it true that the XA1 will play UK HD DVDs, but only with 2.0 firmware?

Thanks,
Joel

1) Yes.
2) Yes, so far.
3) Only for HD DVD - firmware upgrade promised next year, I believe.
4) Yes, it will play 24 fps UK HD DVDs. I think you would only need the 2.0 firmware to hear the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 tracks.

Steve

What are the differences between UK and US HD DVDs?

1) It is simply that UK discs are released by the European "Region 2" distributor, but without region coding (at the moment).

2) Are both UK and US discs 24fps?

3) Has 25fps been included in either the HD DVD or BD spec?

4) Is it true that the XA1 will play UK HD DVDs, but only with 2.0 firmware?

Thanks,
Joel

1) Yes, the main differences "region" wise is the different distribution rights in each country. Studio Canal are distributors in Europe for some films here (Terminator 2 etc) but US distributors are Blu-ray only for that title as an example. As you know Region encoding will not be ratified for a while and the present HD DVD players will NEVER be region enabled. Another difference with titles released in US and Europe are mainly language related. As an example, King Kong US has U-Control and 3 languages, whereas King Kong UK has no U Control but has 6 languages. (U Control is nothing to get excited about BTW). Also UK HD DVD case is thicker and has the different censor stickers on the cover. Serenity UK has been re-encoded since the US release to accommodate more languages but supposedly gives a better picture due to a better VC encode.

2) Yes

3) A firmware "upgrade" is planned for the HD-E1 and HD-XE1 for HD 50Hz but can obviously play DVD at 50Hz as released. Not 100% sure about Blu-Ray but don't recall reading it could.

4) Not sure. I thought you needed 2.0 for TrueHD?

you also need 2.0 firmware for u controll and a few other features.

A point was raised on another forum. If discs are 24fps, are they then output at 60i?

If that concerns you (some notice the cadence judder more than others) and you want to see the true 24p you will need to output (1080p) to a display that can handle 48 Hz, 72Hz, 96Hz (not common) OR if 1080i models then a video processor to convert it back to 24Hz and then to a screen capable of syncing multiples as above.

If that concerns you (some notice the cadence judder more than others) and you want to see the true 24p you will need to output (1080p) to a display that can handle 48 Hz, 72Hz, 96Hz (not common) OR if 1080i models then a video processor to convert it back to 24Hz and then to a screen capable of syncing multiples as above.
I was just trying to understand the format. A kind soul has just bought me an XA1...

And, yes, I will be going down the VP route for a 1080p24 output. Display should be a JVC HD1 projector in February! :smashin:

Thanks.

I was just trying to understand the format. A kind soul has just bought me an XA1...

And, yes, I will be going down the VP route for a 1080p24 output. Display should be a JVC HD1 projector in February! :smashin:

Thanks.

Lovely. Nice and smooth (well nearly, we are talking 24fps after all!)

3) A firmware "upgrade" is planned for the HD-E1 and HD-XE1 for HD 50Hz but can obviously play DVD at 50Hz as released. Not 100% sure about Blu-Ray but don't recall reading it could.

Can someone confirm all HDDVDs are 60hz. What would be the use of 50hz. Sorry if this is an obvious question :rolleyes:

Many HD video cameras may run at 50Hz hence the 'possible need' especially in the UK. I am not convinced that good conversion to 24p is not the better option but we will see what happens. It is not a deal killer for either format.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom