• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Differences between the PMC FB1i and FB1+

Magic Beans

Established Member
I'm looking at replacing my Linns with a selection of PMC speakers. I'm about to push the button on a new set of FB1i, however i've seen a lot of FB1+ floating about and on paper they appear to be one and the same?

Is this correct? Is the + version an upgraded version of the FB1, DB1 etc, making them the same as the "i" versions?

Wag

Established Member
I'm looking at replacing my Linns with a selection of PMC speakers. I'm about to push the button on a new set of FB1i, however i've seen a lot of FB1+ floating about and on paper they appear to be one and the same?

Is this correct? Is the + version an upgraded version of the FB1, DB1 etc, making them the same as the "i" versions?

I stand to be corrected, but I am sure that there was no upgrade path from FB1 to FB1i. This was maily due to the new speakers having a revised cabinet. Apart from that I believe the tweeters changed as well.

fathervic

Established Member
I stand to be corrected, but I am sure that there was no upgrade path from FB1 to FB1i.

You are indeed correct. There were tweaks that made it far more difficult that just switching to the soft dome tweeter and a new Xover.

Considering the cost of what can be had second hand then the older + version makes a very tempting propostion. Either way, you'll end up with a bloody good speaker ;)

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You can convert an FB into an FB+ as it was only a tweeter and crossover upgrade I believe. The i version is the new (and current) version which is an improvement over the + but as above you can not convert a + to an i. Hence if looking at second hand you should be paying more for a + over the non + but you will pay more again for the i version.

Magic Beans

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. :)

I've been reading conflicting information (as always) on the net, hence the question. From what i read it the + upgrade is a new tweeter and improved crossover and on paper the i version is pretty much the same. The i sounded sublime (as did the Fact 8 :rolleyes:) so that's the sound i'm after. However if that sound could be achieved for less money it's no bad thing. especially as all five speakers need replacing.

Has anyone heard the + and i versions, as a comparison?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I have listened to both (have the + version and demoed the i version). The i version is a definate improvement over the + but for me it was not worth spending the money to upgrade. Considering the great prices on the + versions secondhand you can get most of the great sound quality of the i version at a fraction of the price. If you get the + version you will not be dissappointed.

chaotiker

Standard Member
Way back I listened to the EB1i if it would be a worthy upgrade from my EB1+ version. It was not. The tweeter is better, otherwise they sound alike. But there is no upgrade path, you can't switch the tweeter and the crossover and make a + into a "i" version. My dealer even tried that, not the same sound.

So I went with the MB2i as my upgrade and I'm happy ever since :)

Magic Beans

Established Member
Decisions decisions. I'll see what's available in the next couple of weeks and then decide from there. It would be great to get some used FB1i, as it would save a sizable amount, to go towards the other three. It avoids the urge to upgrade for a while to, in theory ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom