1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences between PHD6 and PHD7 Panny plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Plump, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title says,
    what are the main differences between PHD6 and PHD7 Panny plasmas?

Also how does it match Lumagen HDP, are there any compatibility issues there?

thanks

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Very few differences, the HD7 can take an HDMI board where as the HD6 can only take the DVI board.
    Speaker to a few people the power supply was not as good on the HD7, only just adequate, but then that was said about the 6 series when that replaced the 5 series.
    There are some contrast issues on the 7 series, but mainly when using S-video, fluctuating brightness in the deepest blacks.

I got one of the last 6 series panels rather than the 7 series, even though I could of got either at the same price.

So if you have been offered a 6 series and want to know if you are missing out at all by not having a 7 series I would say, not at all.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Plump

The 7 Series HD units (42" and 50") have newer phosphors than the 6 Series HD units - some say they produce a better range of colours.

Function wise with the 7 Series you loose YUV compatibility on the HD15(VGA) 'In-built' socket and gain an optional HDMI Board (pretty much the same range of Input signals as the Optional DVI Board but definitely better compatibility with a wider range of source devices - the DVI board in a 6 Series will not work with a Pioneer DV-868AVi for instance due to EDID handshaking issues).

There were some issues with early 7 Series 42" HD units and S-Video - these can be remedied and later units didn't suffer this problem.

Compatibility with a Lumagen VisionHDP should not be a problem with either Display - the Lumagen has more than enough 'adjustments' to ensure you get it talking to the Display.

Best regards

Joe

4. ritchf

ritchf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I am sure I have seen web sites quoting that the HDMI board (TY-FB7HM) is compatable with TH-37PWD7UY, TH-42PWD7UY, TH-42PHD7UY, TH-50PHD7UY, TH-37PWD6UY, TH-42PWD6UY, TH-42PHD6UY, TH-50PHD6UY.

So both series 6 and 7 are covered?

Anyone know if this is right

Ritch

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    ritchf

The department of disinformation is at it again - the TY-42TM6DB DVI Board works across both the 6 and 7 Series models and the TY-FB7HM HDMI Board only works in the 7 Series models.

Best regards

Joe