1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

differences between iscan pro, ultra & lumagen vision?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon1967, May 16, 2003.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looking for a scaler to work with a Panasonic W4 plasma and a Barco 808 Graphics. Running it with all devices: PS2, Sky, DVD etc.

With the recent price drop, what are the main differences between the 3 devices. From what little info that I have understood, the iscans line double only whereas the lumagen vision can scale to any resolution (equivalent to line tripling/quadrupling?). Have I understood correctly and which of these devices are relevant to my set-up?

Basically, what I am asking is the Lumagen worth double over the iscan? BTW, my comparisions that I have seen are a line tripled Sony G70 (excellent) to my old Seleco 400 with its internal line doubler (okay to my eyes but very soft on sky pictures).

Thanks in advance.

2. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic plasma only has 480 lines so you wouldn't get any real improvement from using higher resolution video outputs of the lumagen. It may have a better de-interlacer chip on it.

The Barco would benefit from the higher resolution output but a problem that you may be left with is that all these scalers have composite, s-video and component output. Most of the time Sky has either composite or RGB (the exception being Sky+ and Grundig boxes with S-Video output). On your old system if the signal hadn't been converted from RGB to component or S-Video, it may of been using composite and this would of produced a soft image.

Depending on your model of DVD player you may have component but you will have S-Video. If you get the correct leads for your PS2 you should get S-Video.

Things can get kind of complicated for connection but a limitation of the iscan pro and the lumagen is that it only has one of each input whereas the iscan and the vision pro both have multiple inputs.

3. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't forget the CentreStage :)
    I have a similar configuration where I need to scale and feed images to both a Plasma and CRT Projector.
    I use the CentreStage scaler which can output both to DVI for Plasma and VGA (RGBHV) to my CRT projector.
    It also has numerous inputs 1 x YUV/RGB Progressive, 2 x YUV/RGB Interlaced, 2 x S-Video and 2 x Composite.
    The Centrestage 2 also has SDI input and output I think.
    The CentreStage (excluding HD model) will also let you dial in any custom resolution/refesh rate etc. for perfect mathing to your display device.
    RAMiAM

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007