1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences between Denon 550 and 500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by shaunflynn, Jan 19, 2005.

1. shaunflynn

shaunflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of investiging in an ALL in one Home cinema system. I think I have narrowed it down to the Denon 500 or 550.

I have tried to read the gumpf on the two and work out exactly what the difference between the two are, except the obvious DVD / Recieiver seperate on the 550.

Can anyone help me out here? Also what do people think about my choice?

Thanks

Shaun

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Here's a start, bu not definitive:

More inputs/outputs. Active sub-woofer. Not sure but possibly upgradeable to 6.1/7.1 without the need for an additional amplifier.

3. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    500 spec clicky thing

550 spec clicky thing

Biggest difference would be the active sub on the 550 I guess.

Buy the 500, save yourself a few quid to spend on discs (the passive sub is perfectly adequate unless you live in a palace :D )

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Agree with Conn, I've got a double living room, high ceilings and the 500's sub is plenty powerful.

5. happyjolly

happyjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 550 and I dont know how you manage without the AV reciever on the 500 to be honest, it has two component inputs on it and 1 output, great for connecting a DVD Recorder and the DVD unit that comes with it. If you are thinking of connecting other items to the system for other use VCR, tape deck go for the 550

I haven't heard the 500 but i'm well impressed with the sound on the 550, nicer looking sub too in my opinion. ESSENTIAL if you've got a missus who wants to keep your "toys" from messing up the place. :mad:

6. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The 550 certainly has more input options, but the 500 is not short its self. You can still attach just about anything you can think of. The 550 is perhaps less a pure all-in-one and more the start of something more.

7. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have plumped for the 550 after much deliberation. It seems that it is 6.1 ready as sub is powered so don't need one of the 6 amp channels to power it, making a free channel for 6.1 use via an extra speaker. It also has proper speaker connections so better speaker cable can be used.

Finally I have chosen the 550 as if say the reciver or dvd needs repairing or replacing, the whole lot won't have to be like with the 500.

8. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    One comment that has now come out of a couple of reviews is that the 500 represents better value for your money than the 550 and that audio wise there's little between them. I would reckon though that if you want to expand to 6.1 then in the long term the 550 would actually be better value (my partner wouldn't let me have any more speakers so 5.1 it is). Also, as someone else stated the 500 has a very generous amount of inputs/outputs for an all-in-one.

At the end of the day which ever one you go for you won't be dissapointed.

9. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The 500 was quoted as better value for £ over the 550 when the price difference was £250, in reality its more like £150.

10. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got the 550 for Xmas mainly because I wanted a 6.1 set up (ordered the extra speaker with the system) and its easier to upgrade to seperates in future. The extra input/outputs are a nice bonus.

11. matthts

matthts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DHT-550SD is rather superior to the DHT-500SD. I have had two sets of the 500SD and only returned them because of the fan noise (it is really a problem with the model).
    I have the 550SD now which is basically a set of separates. But the sound quality is really much better although it was not poor on the 500SD.
    The differences? There are many; active subwoofer, no FAN in the receiver (really), many more surround modes and DTS and Dolby sound formats, really much better quality of the tuner (in case you want to listen to classic or whatever music through radio), the possibilities and combinations are numerous.
    In my country, the price difference is approximately € 150,-- which I think is worth it.
    If you can spend it, I can only recommend to go for the 550SD. It is obviously the more 'professional' set of audio equipment. But even better: listen to the difference and beware of the FAN in the 500SD. I will post my experience separately.