1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences between cheap & expensive DVD's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by C227, Jan 21, 2005.

1. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Panasonic dv75 (i think that the model number!)
    It cost around £180 when it came out.

Anyway, when buying my 42" plasma I was told that I should use a much better DVD player as the plasma would show it up alot more than my 33" TV.

Am I really going to gain anything from using a more expensive DVD player?

2. Benoo

Benoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would have thought the dvd player would be more important on larger screens rather than this size. I know when i bought my high end dvd i could not really tell the difference.

:)

3. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I might get one on loan and try seeing the difference. I would expect the ound quailty to be better through the higher end DVD players. Especially something like a Cyrus DVD7.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The important thing with plasma or lcd displays is to get 12 or 14bit DAC (colour sampling/interpolation). The logic is that both plasma and lcd displays have a limited colour range and under certain circumstances you can see colour stepping. A dvd player that creates smoother colour gradience is better for such displays as it helps eliminate such problems as well as giving a more natural image on any display device.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Price isn't a reliable indicator of quality, there are some damned good quality sub-£200 machines and some that cost several hundred more that are no better.

Unless money is no object, IMHO your best bet is to get the plasma up and running with the player you have, watch it a bit and then see what (if anything) you're not happy with and then look to see what's available to improve it.

I've never had a plasma but from my experience with projectors I'd agree with Benoo that the PQ difference between systems is more pronounced with the increase in image size, something that a 92" projectorr may show up may be unnoticeable on a 42" display so per se it'd not be worth paying money to solve sucha non-problem.