Differences between A8 and A85

Andy Kay

Standard Member
Before I commit to buying the KD-55A8 I wanted to find out what the differences are between the A8 and the A85 but I can't seem to get to the bottom of it. Sales literature doesn't really say (even the Sony website is unclear), and my on-line queries have led to contradictory answers. Can anybody help?

dave_a

I believe they are the same set, the A85 is sold by Curry’s and has a different (not height adjustable) stand

Andy Kay

Standard Member
I believe they are the same set, the A85 is sold by Curry’s and has a different (not height adjustable) stand
Thanks Dave but that's my problem... Currys sell both but don't say what the difference is. I don't want to trust to their salespersons going on past experience.

desinho

Thanks. Starting to sound consistent that the only difference is the adjustable stand then.
You might want to check which remote comes with the 85, might be the new premium backlit remote.
This unboxing video of the A87 seems to show one of the premium remotes:

desinho

My A8 didn’t come with the backlit !!! You can get for £35
Yes the A8 comes with the black remote, the A85/87/89 I think should have the more silver looking one like in this video (this is not the basic A8 but the A87, the box says A8 for all of them). Could be the old one from last year like the A9S also comes with or could be the new backlit one ... But you are right it is not that expensive to buy separately.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom