1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

difference with dynamic and basic drives

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Embarker, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    This is gonna be so simple and cost me loads of time copying back files

I have one drive a, which is basic and drive b which is dynamic.

In want to "boot" from drive b, by ghosting over drive a to b, yet ghost gives warnings about doing this!?! and about my USB keyboard

I am a newbie to ghosting - have I committed a cardinal sin here as I've just formated b into three partitions, 1 and 2 I wanted as boot drives so if it does not boot to 1 i can switch to 2 and 3 which i've already moved all my films to.

My goal is to remove drive a and move this to a new computer.

Have I put the cart before the horse :suicide:

any help :lease:

dave

2. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Dave,

Hopefully you'll get another reply from someone who knows what they're talking about but at this very moment I'm formatting a drive as "Basic".

XP popped up a little message telling me that Dynamic drives can be used with software RAID configurations and that a volume can be made to span more than 1 physical disk (like in unix I guess).

However when I check another computer using diskkeeper I can see a whole ton of reserved space taken up on a Dynamic drive, that appears to be free on an identical drive in the same machine formatted as basic.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

PS. How's the beard coming on?

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    OK, shouldn't be a problem but lets get my head round a few details first..

1 Are you wanting to copy the bootable system on drive A to the first partition on driveB ?

Or

2 simply clone drive A onto driveB?

Also, what (roughly) is the error ghost throws up when you try?

first the basics.. if you're going for option 1, you need to do a 'partition to partition copy' in ghost.

It'll ask you to choose the source partition from the first drive, then choose the destination drive, and destination partition(1)

If you've tried this already and are getting the eror at this point I'll need a rough version of the error before i can offer much help....

Also,

Is there a particular reason why you have driveB setup as a dynamic disk?
    I'm not sure there is any real advantage, unless you want to use SW mirroring..

It may make life much easier to convert driveB back to a basic disk before you begin...

Hope that helps some.. get back with some details if you still have problems..

Cheers,

Jon

4. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi Jon

I assume it is the bootable drive i want copying - i've got ghost 2003 if that helps

All I want to do is "copy" my drive a which a 120gb to my new 250gb drive - all too simple it seems. The 120 gb is going in my 4 yr olds computer.

However, windows will only let me create a dynamic drive.

I have 3 x 37 gb drive approx on my 120 gb drive. and want to ghost only the first drive but only what is on it - i.e. 10gb to a new partion on my 250 gb drive - leaving 240gb as a single drive.

Am i just trying to do too much ?

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    you should be able to do exactly what you want with a partition to partition copy..

step1
    create the system partition on the new 250gig drive, ( i'd make it 20gb personally, but that's up to you, as long as it's big enough to contain the data from your original c: drive ) then format it.

then in ghost, you need to do a partition to partition copy.

the source partition will be be disk 0 partition1
    the destination needs to be disk 1 partition1

the dialog screens are quite handy, so you'll be able to confirm from the data sizes etc that you're working with the right partitions..

Give that a go and see how you get on

Not sure why you've been forced to create a dynamic disk though, I've got 250's in mine and they're all basic disks.. What OS are you running?

if you get any errors in ghost make a note of them and I should be able to get you around them..

6. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    am running xp pro sp2,

i'll try to format the drive as basic in another machine. Maybe a good time to do a completely clean instal of windows anyway

Cheer

7. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It seems that right clicking on the disk in didk manager give you the option of choosing either dynamic or basic before it is formated.

The Dude, the only warnings I get are about usb devices - I do have a gyration keyboard.

Is the option clone in advanced?