Question Difference in picture quality 55hu8500 vs 55js9000?

Ali Raza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I am about to buy a tv, I found a good deal on a used hu8500 but could also get a refurbished js9000 for about £400 more...just want to know if anyone has seen both and is there a huge difference in picture quality?

Also about the menu, if hu8500 is updated to the latest firmware would it have the same samsung interface as the latest TVs?

Please help as I have to pay for hu8500 soon if I go ahead with that.

I was looking into the HU8500 but apparently gaming is terrible on it, some of the worst input lag of last years Samsungs apparently. It also has micro stutter. Saying that for movies and video in general it's meant to be a great TV. The JS9000 I believe was last years high end model, it shares many features with the model below the JS8500, but reading around the JS8500 seems the more popular set, with limited micro stutter, more uniform screen, and it's dark chassis as opposed to the JS9000 silver, either way personally the JS8500 and JS9000 are winners, I'd skip the HU8500 though, but that's mainly down to me being a gamer.

I was looking into the HU8500 but apparently gaming is terrible on it, some of the worst input lag of last years Samsungs apparently. It also has micro stutter. Saying that for movies and video in general it's meant to be a great TV. The JS9000 I believe was last years high end model, it shares many features with the model below the JS8500, but reading around the JS8500 seems the more popular set, with limited micro stutter, more uniform screen, and it's dark chassis as opposed to the JS9000 silver, either way personally the JS8500 and JS9000 are winners, I'd skip the HU8500 though, but that's mainly down to me being a gamer.

Thanks, I'll be using it mainly for movies and sky...and might play games once in a while. What about the menu system? the samsung interface? if its updated will it have the same OS like the 2016 TVs?

The thing is my budget is around £700, I've seen cheaper models (£800-£1000) from all manufacturers and didnt like any of those from 2016 models. Buying a high end new 2016 model would be very expensive.

I don't think so, it will likely just update the OS that's already on there. The OS on 2015 and 2014 models seems much smoother anyways to me, I'm not a fan of this 2016 OS. I'd avoid everything that's out for now in 2016 as there's not much that's decent, some of the new Samsungs are awful. I have just bought the ku6400 and motion blur is worst I have ever seen in my life, it's not fit for purpose which is a disgrace for a £900 TV.

If you don't want 4K, Go for a H6400 if you can find one, they do suffer from banding issues, but if you can view the panel before paying, or get a good one, it's probably one of the best TV's you can get in your budget. I had 2 but sent back due to severe banding.

If you do want 4K then maybe the JU6400, although I hear that has motion issues to a degree

I don't think so, it will likely just update the OS that's already on there. The OS on 2015 and 2014 models seems much smoother anyways to me, I'm not a fan of this 2016 OS. I'd avoid everything that's out for now in 2016 as there's not much that's decent, some of the new Samsungs are awful. I have just bought the ku6400 and motion blur is worst I have ever seen in my life, it's not fit for purpose which is a disgrace for a £900 TV.

If you don't want 4K, Go for a H6400 if you can find one, they do suffer from banding issues, but if you can view the panel before paying, or get a good one, it's probably one of the best TV's you can get in your budget. I had 2 but sent back due to severe banding.

If you do want 4K then maybe the JU6400, although I hear that has motion issues to a degree

I saw the 6800 model in store and didn't like it, yes I want 4K otherwise my 8 yr old Sony 40L4000 is still going strong. I am getting the 55hu8500 for £600 with 3 yrs warranty left on it so I think I'd just go for that.

HU8500 is pre tizen and as far as I know can only be upgraded to tizen by purchasing a new one connect box (not sure if you still can)?

I've heard the 2016 tizen is snappier than 2015, although 2016 is still missing essential apps.

I personally would go for the JS9000, maybe the hu8500 if there was a good deal with the upgraded one connect box.

Both TVs got great reviews when released so obviously the more modern TV is the better option.

HU8500 is pre tizen and as far as I know can only be upgraded to tizen by purchasing a new one connect box (not sure if you still can)?

I've heard the 2016 tizen is snappier than 2015, although 2016 is still missing essential apps.

I personally would go for the JS9000, maybe the hu8500 if there was a good deal with the upgraded one connect box.

Both TVs got great reviews when released so obviously the more modern TV is the better option.

Yes I am looking for a js9000 or even ks9000 but want to buy something this week too bored these days

Are there any limitations of what hu8500 could play in terms of 4k content? 4k youtube? 4k blu rays?

Yes, it doesn't support VP9 for youtube 4k, it supports HEVC for netflix/prime UHD though. For UHD blu rays it has HDMI 2.0 which means it supports UHD discs, but not HDMI 2.0a for displaying HDR.

You can get the one connect box, but I'm not sure how easy thats available now. That will give you HDR support and youtube UHD.

Not sure if it will play HDR prime/netflix streams without the new box, I would take a guess probably not. Without the 2015 one connect box it won't be updated to the newer Tizen smart tv platform so will most likely have older apps.

Samsung launches 2015 Evo Kit, adds HDR to some 2014 TVs - FlatpanelsHD

Yes, it doesn't support VP9 for youtube 4k, it supports HEVC for netflix/prime UHD though. For UHD blu rays it has HDMI 2.0 which means it supports UHD discs, but not HDMI 2.0a for displaying HDR.

You can get the one connect box, but I'm not sure how easy thats available now. That will give you HDR support and youtube UHD.

Not sure if it will play HDR prime/netflix streams without the new box, I would take a guess probably not. Without the 2015 one connect box it won't be updated to the newer Tizen smart tv platform so will most likely have older apps.

Samsung launches 2015 Evo Kit, adds HDR to some 2014 TVs - FlatpanelsHD

Ok thanks, I am leaning more towards js9000 or ks9000 but they are expensive...maybe I'll buy hu8500 for now and save some money and wait for the 2017 models to come out and then buy ;)

One more option is 55ju7500, would that be better than 55hu8500? price difference is £250 7500 is more expensive.

Probably not having to buy an extra one connect box to upgrade everything on the 8500 would make that 250 worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom