1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference in cost between 42" LG & 42" Panny plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by 7up4it, Apr 14, 2005.

1. 7up4it

7up4it

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,

What is the true difference in cost between the two plasmas?

I would like an idea of all in cost please, I have sky/panny DVD to connect I assume sky is all I need for the tuner but speakers will be extra? doesn't need to be top notch quality as it's for the kids day room.

Having read numerous reviews on both Panny & LG I am inclined to go for the Panny (as I already have Panny DVD recorder & surround sound system on 60" Sony LCD rear projection TV in main lounge) providing it is only a couple of hundred pounds dearer (Still being nice to the wife after buying the Sony!).

Apologies if someone has already asked this question, so many threads so little time.........

Cheers

John

2. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As no one else has answered . .

Rather than Panny or LG, the debate really hinges around a different topic; plasma tv or plasma display panel. What's the difference?

A plasma display panel is a huge plasma computer monitor with a VGA socket on the back and not much else. You can put a pc through it and you're away. Great for business presentations and commercial events and in fact, some of the panasonic models are actually called 'commercial' panels. If you look in the user manual for these you will only see a laptop (or similar) connected and instructions about different PC monitor settings (a slight simplification). What happened was, people started taking these good quality 'raw' panels and began wiring them up with AV equipment to get create pretty good picture quality at pretty reasonable cost.

This idea spawned a new product called 'plasma TVs', where manufacturers started to build the tv tuner circuitry into the panel itself without the need to external gadgets.

The LG PX11 is a plasma tv, as is the panasonic viera. The panasonic PWD7 (etc) is a display panel.

Good and bad points? Well, how do you compare them? Let's take cost. An LG PX11 (approx £1300) costs about the same (ish) as a panasonic panel (PW6, PWD6 etc (last years model) a little more (or not) for PW7, PWD7 - all depending on where you look).

What about the electronics? Well, do you NEED a tv tuner, not if you only watch sky, or freeview you don't. So do you need to pay for a tv tuner twice. How do you connect all your stuff together? The plasma tv has a possible advantage here as it probably has many inputs. Though are they the ones you want? Are you buying stuff you don't need again?

Track record? Well panasonic panels have a history of success, whereas until PX11 (only firmware 5.13 and above) the LGs weren't really touched with a barge pole by many but now there are fans of this model. Are they better than panasonic? Well the lowliest panasonic plasma tv (viera I believe) is around £2100, and the LG is considerably less. Whilst a straight cost comparison does not always tell the whole story, you may suspect the Panasonic is better. I'd guess general opinion agrees.

Why the fuss about the panasonic display panels then? Now this is where it gets interesting. By buying only what you need, you can avoid buying things twice (tuner etc) get a real good picture real cheap (comparatively). It's a more involved method of doing it (though hardly rocket science) and involves studying (and understanding a little of) what equipment you have now and may need soon, and only getting what you need and ensuring the pieces of your system are balanced (quality-wise).

So instead of plug and play, it's a bit more hands on. You need to get connectors and converters etc to put it all together but the result is invariably worth while (good PQ).

Panels cost from about £1200 (I got mine even cheaper from RS - an offer now finished) and then you need to buy connectors, which are dependant on your kit. You can even buy a panasonic tv tuner box with all connectors built in, but there are drawbacks with these, PQ for one.

My choice? I bought a Samsung plasma tv and sold it after three weeks for half price. I added £140 and got my PWD6, and went from there. I considered various connector boxes (component, scart etc - even putting it all through an AV amp) and decided eventually to get an external scaler (not cheap but much better - hey, I had a tax rebate, why not) :cool:

This has been a summary of my last two months of study on this site (I have NOT seen demos of all these devices and am basing my opinion on what I've read). My advice? If you want a cheap plasma with a half decent PQ and all the inputs built in, you could (by the sounds of it) do worse than the LG PX11 (firmware 5.13 and up). If you want to strive for best PQ (and don't mind learning) and greatest flexibility, then the VAST bulk of opinion would suggest the display panel route.

Ultimate difference in cost from £0 to £400 (ish) more expensive depending on your equipment and needs.

(appologies for any technical inaccuracies - no appologies for price inaccuracies - I'm making a point, not writing the bible) :D

Hope this helps your thinking.

3. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice reply John, that covers everything.....

This should be made sticky along with settings for the LG and price match information.

4. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Doctor_d, for the record I'm not advocating the LG, I firmly believe that the extra smidge of cash for a panel is well worth the investment (after all, how much did ALL of your kit cost). However, I would say that it's nice to hear that LG owners are happy with their purchases but I can't help wondering why no/few 'reputable' AV dealers sell them. Having said all of that, 7u4it initially asked for something that 'doesn't need to be top notch quality as it's for the kids day room'. If it were for my kids (which I don't have) would I bother too much about picture quality?

5. 7up4it

7up4it

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Johnccfc,

Many thanks for the excellent well thought out answer to my question, it has helped me considerably, nice that at least someone took the time to help out a "newbie" (whats the point in asking questions if no ones going to reply!). People like me really do rely on the more AV educated people out there and it helps us spend our hard earned cash more wisely, there is nothing worse than buying what you believe is a good piece of kit only to find out a week later that it's a bag of nails......... :suicide:

Don't get me wrong, we try to give our kids the best we can afford as i'm sure most parents do, however in this instance the plasma screen/TV I choose will only ever be (I would imagine!) regarded as the second TV due to the popularity of the 60" Sony in the main lounge, perhaps the plasma may end up being watched more? we will have to wait & see.

I do like the idea of the simplicity of setting up the LG, good connectivity etc, so I am pretty sure I will be purchasing the LG this weekend.

Thanks again.

John

6. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Make sure (before you accept it that) you get firmware 5.13 or higher, else you may just end up with a bag of nails. You'll have to search the forums for how to do this. Just to reiterate, the display panel route is the route of choice, a plasma tv is a cost-driven option. Good luck.

edit:

7. PhoneticFreak

PhoneticFreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the LG (firmware 5.13), wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Returned it and got a PW7.....verdict, PW7 is miles better and even the missus noticed the difference. PW7 gets my vote!

8. iJeff

iJeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy the LG RZ42PY10X - HD Ready and the picture quality will match anything on the market - feed it a 1080i source and it'll blow your sock's off :thumbsup:

9. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the detailed explanation for us newbies!

One more question (a few, actually): what is the difference (besides about £200) between the PW7 and PWD7 ???

And am I correct in assuming the PHD7 panel can get digital signal from a DVD source, and would be able to handle HD-DVD or Blu-ray, but not the Sky HD signal (and probably the BBC when it eventually comes out)?

And is it nit-picking that a descaler will never match a true 720 or 1080 HD signal due to the need to downscale?

I have read a few very technical explanations in threads on this forum, but am battling to know just what the extent of the difference is going to be.

Essentially, I am finally getting a plasma and home cinema setup, and had settled on the PW7, but then read a comment that the PWD7 is better, and then with the PV500 being introduced at a reasonable price, began the whole HD saga. Now I am trying to decide whether to get the (seemingly excellent) deal through AV-sales of a TH-42PV500 (or the TH-37PV500) and ES10 recorder. I have NTL, not Sky (not a fan of Sky), and had given my old Ondigital box to a mate, so have no freeview box, and do sometimes need to record terrestrial while watching cable (I am too impatient to wait for the PW8 with HD compliance, or the Panny DVD/HDD recorders with Freeview due in September). Suppose I could just use the ES-10 tuner?

Would it also be possible to just get a component video input on the panel, and use a scart-to-component switch box?

Apologies if all these questions have been answered elsewhere! And the help will be much appreciated.

Greg

10. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The trouble with the old Pannys is that they don't accept 720p/1080i at 50hz over DVI-HDCP / HDMI. That's why it won't work with Sky HD without some assistance. I haven't seen any confirmations, but it's very likely that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will also require DVI-HDCP / HDMI for high-res. If you buy 60hz discs (ie. US), then it will work fine with the Pannys - but UK/European discs will have the same problem as Sky HD.

Descaler? Isn't that something you put in your kettle?

Given that you want a freeview tuner anyway, your best best would be one of the new Viera's - either the PE50 (SD), or PV500 (HD). It depends on how likely you are to use the HD capabilities - HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, PS3, Xbox 2, etc.

11. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Braveknight. I thought I was up late!

Yes, a descaler is something you get in your kettle. If only it would interlace as well, then that wuold save us all a lot of money.

Is there a serious difference between the PW7 and the PWD7?

cheers

Psychobod

12. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I was up early!

I believe the PWD7 has more options for adjusting the display, but the Panny crew would be better placed to answer that question.

Also, if the consumer side are dropping panels from the product line to concentrate on the Viera line, you might find some benefits to having a relationship the goes through the commercial division.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

7up4it - hooking a DVD player + SKY Digibox to a PW7 or PWD7 is very straight forward.

Hook the DVD player to the SKY box using a SCART cable and then a JS Technology RGB2VGA converter between the SKY box and the HD15 (VGA) socket on the Display and that's all you require.

If you plan to use the audio on the Display then a 2RCA to 2RCA stereo audio cable between the JS converter and the display plus a pair of speakers (any speakers - within reason) attached to the speaker outlets on the back of the Display and your set for Stereo audio.

psychobod - any 6 or 7 Series Panasonic Display can 'Display' Standard, Extended and High Definition sources; the lower pixel count Displays simply 'down convert' the signal to make it fit on the Standard Definition pixel Array (though when you view an HD source you'll still 'know' your watching something a bit different to 'normal' TV).

The limitation with the 6 and 7 Series are in signal compatibility and a lack of support for 720P(50) and 1080i(25) HDCP encrypted signals - which is what's being adopted as 'HD' in Europe for the foreseeable future; you can use external converters with these units to make it work but that incurs more cost and (potentially) some processing side affects (though not if you choose the correct external processor).

There are some differences between a PW7 and a PWD7 - though not important for all owners; the picture in picture mode on the PWD7 is better for example.

The PV500 TV's tick all the boxes but are unknowns as they have not been tested as yet - you cant rely on the spec sheets if you want to ensure they actually produce a decent image or not.

Later in the year the 8 Series Display models will appear and for many the 'simplicity' of those models will be more important than the 'all inclusive' approach of the PV500.

If you want something now that's future proof and not encumbered with lots of unwanted 'TV' features then the Fujitsu P42HHA40US should be high on your shopping list.

Best regards

Joe