Difference - HDMI and Component

P

panny37500

Guest
Can someone clarify this for me:

In theory, what difference is there in PQ, between a DVD with progressive scan component output and one with hdmi output? (apart from sound),
where the dvd is connected to a HDTV.

I'm running panny th37pv500 and samsung 850
 

vonhosen

Active Member
That's not easy to say because it will depend on the implementations of each along the entire chain.

Theoretically the HDMI should be better because it doesn't have to do the A/D conversions that you will with Component, but on some players a particularly good component video section could outperform a poor HDMI one.

Try both & see what looks best to your eyes.
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
In theory the HDMI should be better because it avoids the need for digital->analogue->digital conversion. But in practice the difference isn't that great, and sometimes not the way round you'd expect.

As for upscaling, your display will take care of that anyway. Hence when buying an upscaling DVD player you are trusting to luck that the scaler in the player is better than the scaler in the display. Considering the display can cost 10 or 20 times what you paid for the player it should come as no surprise that the scaler in the player is not always better than that in the display.

A word about the Samsungs in particular. There's a fair amount of evidence to suggest they've deliberately sullied the component output to make the HDMI/DVI output look relatively better. Indeed its a common trait for players "tuned" for digital output to have less than startling component performance. A component-only player can out-perform one with DVI/HDMI...PJ
 
P

panny37500

Guest
Thanks - some interesting points. Visually i think the PQ from my old toshiba 330 via component was better than via hdmi on samsung.

Now i understand the differences better, i think the £100 spent on the samsung was a waste of money. Still we live and learn.

Practically, for dvds, on my panny, the aspect control does not work using hdmi via the samsung, so i am left with the top and bottom of the screen black with those horrible bars when viewing in widescreen. Component is fine and i can expand to have a glorious 'full' screen.
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
panny37500 said:
Now i understand the differences better, i think the £100 spent on the samsung was a waste of money. Still we live and learn.

If it's any consolation, you are not alone... ;)
 

straitsman1

Standard Member
panny37500 said:
Practically, for dvds, on my panny, the aspect control does not work using hdmi via the samsung, so i am left with the top and bottom of the screen black with those horrible bars when viewing in widescreen. Component is fine and i can expand to have a glorious 'full' screen.

Hiya Panny......Interesting to hear your "aspect control" doesnt work.....i have the same problem with my Infocus 4805 and thought it was the Dvd player (Pioneer 668) menu settings......I have borrowed this player from a freind for now (he"s in between moving homes) but i havent the remote control (he"s packed it away)...so i cant check the Dvds menu settings and what the Dvd signal its outputting.....I have it connected using HDMI to the Infocus...but have the same horrible top and bottom black bars...when i really want a "full screen"......How the hell do you get a "full screen" with HDMI then....me puzzled......when connected via component.....i get like you ...a glorious complete full picture.....???? Any answers anyone...??? Regards Barry
 

stebbo

Standard Member
PJTX100 said:
In theory the HDMI should be better because it avoids the need for digital->analogue->digital conversion. But in practice the difference isn't that great, and sometimes not the way round you'd expect.

As for upscaling, your display will take care of that anyway. Hence when buying an upscaling DVD player you are trusting to luck that the scaler in the player is better than the scaler in the display. Considering the display can cost 10 or 20 times what you paid for the player it should come as no surprise that the scaler in the player is not always better than that in the display.

A word about the Samsungs in particular. There's a fair amount of evidence to suggest they've deliberately sullied the component output to make the HDMI/DVI output look relatively better. Indeed its a common trait for players "tuned" for digital output to have less than startling component performance. A component-only player can out-perform one with DVI/HDMI...PJ

May I also point out that if you have an upscaling DVD player and you CANNOT upscale to the EXACT pixel size of the screen (say 1366 x 768) then the scaled image will have to be scaled again by the screen to fit its pixel map.

I cannot accept that a "double scaled" image will improve quality over a single scaled image. John Dawson of Arcam specifically highlights this sort of thing as to the reason the EXCELLENT Arcam DVD players do not do upscaling.
 

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
The 'component' connection you are probably talking about is the analogue one (3 RCAs or if you are lucky 3 BNCs). This is an analogue signal and is a video standard.

HDMI is an 'interface'. It works digitally and can transfer component (both RGB and component, both of which are actually 'component'!!). HDMI is the digital equivalent of say analogue component video and analogue audio outs, only it does it it one nasty HDMI connector (not locking) but with a nasty copy protection added just to annoy everyone.

HDMI is an interface / plug type
RCA is plug type
component is an video standard that operates in both analogue and digital domaines.
 

bigmacx

Active Member
Last night I tried switching between the component and hdmi outputs of a Panasonic S97 (feeding a Toshiba MT500 projector) to see if I could spot the differences. Both were set to output 576p .

The differences were subtle, the hdmi perhaps had slightly better colour rendition and bit less grain/noise but they were very close. They both gave a very pleasing image (at least as far as static scenes go - still not convinced about the S97's deinterlacing abilities).

Mac.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom