1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference btwn Prog Scan DVD Player and TV's deinterlacing Technology

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rabrown, Aug 27, 2005.

1. rabrown

rabrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can someone please clarify the difference between using a progressive scan dvd player and relying on a tv's deinterlacing capabilities.

I am shopping around for a tv and am inclined to get the new Sagem 56 DLP with built in Faroudja technology. My dvd player is an old Toshiba SD9000 (with component outputs) which does not offer progressive scan output . Given the forthcoming intro of HD-DVD/Blu-ray I am hesitant to buy a new player now or if I do buy one am thinking about less expensive models like the new Philips 9000. Assuming I purchase the Sagem, would purchasing a new dvd player like the Philips 9000 make a significant improvement over my current toshiba player?

Thanks in advance for any explanations and advice.

Richard

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Depends on what deinterlacing chip your prospective DVD player would be using & how you connect it to your display.

The faroudja chip in the Sagem will be the same as a faroudja chip in a lot of DVD players you may consider looking at. The benefit of a modern player would be that you could have a completely digital chain to the display with no analogue to digital/digital to analogue conversions.

But personally if I was in your position at present (& if I was happy with the component output from the Toshiba but intending to be an early adopter of HD-DVD or Bluray) I would stick with that & let the display do the work until the new players come through.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The difference between the technologies will be in the methods used to determine whether the source material is originally progressive(film, pc graphics) or interlaced (video tape). Then once that determination has been made there will be differences in the methods used to de-interlace each type. There will also be differences between how fast this determination occurs and how fast recovery from mistakes can be made.

Even when two devices share the same chip there can be significant differences in their performance as there are so many parameters that can be adjusted to change their behaviour.

Gordon

4. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Richard,

I assume your going from a CRT to DLP rear projector - if this is the case you're going to notice a huge difference initially anyway! :smashin:

Personally I find PAL progressive way to soft/cinematic looking and sacrifices definition. Your DVD player to DLP should give a nice crisp image. If you wanted to asses wether to get progressive how about buying an "el cheapo" player doing Progressive through component (no more than 30quid). If you like what that does then your really going to like what a more expensive machine will offer. :D

However, you "hit the nail" on the head when you talked about waiting for the next generation machines, they are just around the corner and I would wait. Blu-ray has been here in Japan for 4yrs now and has never really caught on even with 3 more manufacturers releasing machines last year. :eek:

The HD players shown at CES2005 will probably be the next "big hit" :rolleyes:

Hope that helps! :)

5. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Difficult call...if for some reason your Toshiba broke down which would be very unlikely since it is a Japanese product* .... then you are in luck as some of these lastest but much cheaper players are indeed very competent and have some small benefit from models that came out during the yours came out. Otherwise, I would think we would have to wait until 2nd or 3rd generation HD players (we might even have to wait and see which medias becomes prominent...... c.f. SACD vs DVD-A format war) for the technology to settle down and reach a price that most of us could buy. Are we suppose to replace our DVD collections over night too?

* Corrected

6. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think when you start watching HD DVD you'll probably stop watching your SD discs - have you watched a VHS recently? So will backward compatability be an issue? Couldn't play my 45s in my first CD player!

If you've got an upscaling DVD player just now, it's giving you a "taste" of what's to come and unless they put this feature in the new players I think people will be keeping a hold of them as it will be the only way to view SD discs.

But like most folks I just hate that never ending tunnel we are all running through, vinyl - cd - hdcd - sacd - ? or betamax - vhs - dvd - hddvd - 3d vision (being developed and taking shape)

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I have a Optoma RD65 DLP rear pro and 2 dvd players. One has a progressive scan output DMR-E55 and the other doesnt Sony DVP725. The sony inputed via comp-i gives a far better picture than the Panasonic does imputed via comp-p. This shows that the RD65 does a better job of de-interlacing the picture than the panasonic can.

I would save your cash and just input via comp-i. You wont be disapointed.

8. wolfgang

wolfgang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drew2,
    My sincere apology. I have corrected the previous post.

9. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Did and experiement this morning with my a Panasonic 37" Viera (NON HD) and a Samsung HD850 via Component. The TV dienterlacing was sharper but had bad control over lines, jaggies etc (have heard this about the Pannies) and the Samsung dienterlacer was much smoother, still plenty of detail but not quite as edgy as the Pannie. Must admit was a choice over clean image or dynamic with (for me) mildly annoying edge problems.

Daz

10. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cheers for that Wolfgang, have ammended my post too! :)