• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Difference between Synology DS112j and DS212j ?

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
I'm looking for a home NAS to supply media to network attached PCs\devices, and maybe a tablet.

I've had the DS212j recommended to me, and it's been recommended by a couple of magazines.

What's the difference between the DS212j and the cheaper DS112j?

I know the former has 2 disc bays, and the latter only has 1, but are there any other differences. For example, does the DS212j have any features and\or functions that the DS112j doesn't have?

I'm not really interested in Raid, the data isn't mission critical (It's just media files), so I don't really need the extra resilience.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
they should be the same. The "j" signifies an entry level model, so it has the lowest amount of ram and the smallest processor.

If you were comparing a 112 and a 212j then then the 112 would be a faster processor (1GHz vs 1.6GHz) and more memory (128Mb vs 256Mb). If you dont need 2 bays then the 112 would be better as its faster and you can run more apps on it.

If they are both "j" models then again if you dont need 2 bays then the 112j - depends on the incremental cost to a 2nd bay - it would always come in useful, but dont waste money on the bay if you wont need it

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
I'm leaning towards the 112. Though I've now seen the QNAP TS-112. And am considering that as well.

I think that the 112 is my benchmark as it does everything that I need. Is a system better\worse or cheaper\more expensive than it.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
you dont need to create a thread for every question each time you change track :)

The TS-112 from synoligy has a slower processor than the 112 but its faster than the 112j

1.0 > 1.2 > 1.6
DS112J > TS-112 > DS-112

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
I'm trying to keep the tracks distinct rather than going off topic part way through.

In real terms, what difference does the more powerful CPU make? Such as better transcoding?

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
you wont get ANY transcoding on these entry level machines - they are not powerful enough. You need a machine with at least an Atom processor in there to have any chance of transcoding

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
you wont get ANY transcoding on these entry level machines - they are not powerful enough. You need a machine with at least an Atom processor in there to have any chance of transcoding

I'm confused.

The DS112 and DS212J are supposed to support basic real time audio transcoding. They even come with Logitech Media Server which should transcode.

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
ah sorry, thought you meant video transcoding

I was mostly using transcoding as a general example, really it could be any feature that requires more muscle.

From what I know, the transcoding on these devices is limited to Wav, as MP3 and AAC are too cpu intensive for it.

Bwlmog

Established Member
Hi,

I'm thinking if getting the DS112J has anyone bought it and if so, how does it perform with Plex as the Media Server?

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
Hi,

I'm thinking if getting the DS112J has anyone bought it and if so, how does it perform with Plex as the Media Server?

I have the DS112, which is slightly more powerful. I tried running Plex on it, but it was frustratingly slow.

You're better off using the DS112J as a file server and using software on your playback device for everything else.

Bwlmog

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, I''ve just noticed the DS114 and although not currently Pled compatible it does look like a more powerful network alternative. Does anyone have one and if so what are their experiences?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom