Difference between Sony DRU-510A & The New Pioneer 106?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by husk24, Jun 17, 2003.

1. husk24

husk24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I returned my faulty Sony DRU-510A writer yesterday after 1 week if usuage. I did end of buying the Pioneer 105 writer but i am having seconds thoughts now as the pioneer doeasnt do + dvds, and I like to have the best and most upto date equiptment.

Anyways I have decided to take my Pioneer 105 back tomorrow, I dont really want to buy another. Sony because I am been put off with that particular model. I was thinking of waiting for the new
    Pioneer 106 version, and wanted to ask if it has the exact same features as the current Sony. what are the differences if it has any, from the Sony.

Thanks
    Dave

2. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The 106 is certainly at our door stop.
    I've seen the 105 at under £100 incl VAT.
    I paid just under £200 a couple of months. No doubt the 106 will be in that region.
    Is it worth it ????????? Only you can answer that one !:smoke:

3. Evil Ally

Evil Ally
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked myself if a dual format writer was worth it when I bought my 105 in January. I came to the conclusion that no matter which format wins, the discs that the 105 produces will always be readable in the vast majority of players. This isn't like Beta vs VHS, since discs from both standards play in nearly all other devices. IMO when you consider the price that the 105 is going for now, I think it's a very good deal. I also hear rumours that there will be a firmware hack to turn the 105 into a 106, but I'll believe it when I see it.

4. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One of the retailers that have been selling the 105 at the sub £100 level had the 106 pre-orderable (is that a real word?) for about £174. However, now the website doesn't show a price at all - so I guess it's not really confirmed yet.

5. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It seems I actually mixed up two different retailers. However, one (not sure if it's OK to name here) shows £174.95 inc VAT and "DUE TUESDAY 24/06/03".

EDIT: that's for Pioneer 106 if it's unclear

6. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    With the cost of the multiformat Sony being so high, plus it was out of stock everywhere, I put in a DVD-R/RAM drive as well as a DVD+R drive for about the same cost.

Last time I looked you could get a Panasonic -R/RW/RAM CD-R/RW for £92.83 and a NEC +R/RW CD-R/RW for around £99.

Gus