1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between Sony 930 and HK 25?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Anastie, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ok I am about to order my Nice Pioneer 912 but I am torn between a HK25 and Sony 930 DVD player. Is there much difference between the two? I understand the HK has very good CD audio playback but it it significantly better than the Sony 930? I need to know as I cannot test them side by side and I have been offered the 912 and Sony 930 for £620 which appears a good price. The HK and 912 would have to be delivered hence delay and lass conveniance if things go wrong.

2. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    All these views but no answer :(

3. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    LOL oh well guess I will buy the Sony 930 then :)

4. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'd go for the 25, I bough the 730, which is basicly a 930, and i think i would have been happier with a 25,

5. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @clancol: any reason why? or just a feeling. have you had a chance to compare both?

I don't know anything about HK, but I can tell you a couple of words about 930/730 since I'm planning to buy one of them. still, this is only a theoritical knowledge or based on opinions of other users. 930 is a great performer as far as PQ is concerend. It has been confirmed by tests by WhatVideo, German video magazine(paper issue only or you pay to access the test results on the net) and http://www.cine4home.de/tests.htm . Two last ones tested also a deinterlacer and clearly state it's one of the best you can get for this money, so you could make a good use of the component input of your PD30. 730 indeed is almost a 930 without SACD, but it gets a bit lower marks on sound a PQ. 930 is also a QS model while 730 is not. still, I will probably go for 730 since the price is only 50% of 930 and I can skip SACD for the moment.

clancol, have you had a chance to feed your 730 with self burnt DVD-Rs? I've seen a post from one owner he had problems with those.

6. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Thanks Jurass and others for the feedback I still cannot make my mind up :(

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HK is a superb and robust and not SONY, without a demo of both on your display it is a difficult call, HK has 2 year warranty from HK, and although availble for £250 ish online was originally a £350 player. I dont think anyone who has bought one has been dissapointed, can the same be said for the SONY???

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It seems widely accepted Sony 'slug' their machines so as to not read DVD-Rs well in order to try to stop 'piracy' .. aka. users backing up their fragile expensive DVDs :mad: .. I've had problems with my 730 in that respect, not all but some of the same brand which work perfectly on my KiSS player.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sony Lasers are slightly off so to not read DVD-R and hence prevent you watching home movies on DVD even if you record them on a Sony DV Camera.