1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between SATA and SATA II?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Frazal666, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    SATA II was supposedly being made to make SATA drives more appealing to enterprise users (i.e. to be used in servers)..

As far as I know, they are the same as SATA I drives but support a few additional features, 2 are useless to desktop users but 1 feature (native command queuing) can be useful.

Unless there is no or little cost difference or you are building a server and/or want to use redundant controllers, then I would stick to SATA I.

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't think Native command queuing was necessarily a SATAII thing. I maybe wrong.

For SATAII the bandwidth has been increased from 150 to 300mbps - but you won't see any performance increase as most drives give little over 50-60mbps throughput anyway

4. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, ill just stick to 1.

cheers

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,520
    NCQ is available on both SATA and SATA-II, but the main difference, as already mentioned, is the increased bandwidth from 150 to 300mbps.

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might help: http://www.serialata.org/docs/SATA II Why paper.pdf

Main thing is 300MB/s vs 150MB/s and support for multi end point cables (allowing more than one drive per port), this, and the 300MB/s will be usefull for raid cabling.

For most people it's not an issue.

7. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    The board supports SATA-II so you may as well take advantage. I did, Hitachi drive with 3Gbps and NCQ I believe :)

8. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not going to use raid, so I will not find it useful. Anyway, even if I do use raid, wont 150mb/s still be efficient enough? If a hard drive's bandwith is about 60-70mb/s, the maximum that two hard drives on a raid confuguration will only use 140mb/s.

I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am.

9. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No that's correct - HDD's will get quicker - and there are already very fast drives out there so they're just building some headroom into the standard

10. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    From tests of the drive I've seen, you really only see the 3gbps as a peak hit on file transfers, but it's basically just that little bit quicker in day to day use even without RAID, plus the drive wasn't exactly more expensive.