Difference between PWD6/PWD7/PWD8

timiano

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Fairly noob, but also fairly tech savvy, go easy on me though :)

Basically, its crunch time for the AV setup and I need to decide which panel I am getting. I'm stuck on the Panny panels, and was initially going down the PWD8 route, but then a couple of older models caught my eye which got me thinking.

Is there a huge distinct difference in quality between these panels? I've seen a 6 for £800, a 7 for £1000 and an 8 for £1250. Is the 8 £450 better than the 6?

Quick background. I'm going to be running SKY+, XBOX, maybe a DVD Rec in the future. I've decided on a Denon 1706 Receiver running some Cantons.

So what do you reckon? I think I'm leaning toward the PWD6 cos of the cost saving, but if someone comes back and says that the 7 or 8 blows its socks off in terms of quality then I'll be having a big rethink

Thanks in advance

Timiano

they are all very similar PQ wise, the 8 series is HD compatible, a decent benefit if your going to want to use HD material that has HDCP applied PWD8 has 2 year warranty as standard 6/7 only 1 year 8 series does better job with scart input 6/7 neeed some help

That's interesting as I have a PWD6. I know there is a DVI board available for it, but I guess your saying it isn't HDCP compliant. I know the screen downscales as it happily displays a PC set to 1024 x 768.

I beleive on pre-8 series the DVI card won't accept the resolution and refresh rate needed for UK HD transmissions.......although I guess a scaler could get around that.

As for differences between the 6 and 7.....the 7 doesn't support component via the vga port. Other then that I haven't found anything different between the PWD6 and PWD7.....a freind has the 7 and I had the 6 for a while and we compared them extensively.

Dom996 said:
That's interesting as I have a PWD6. I know there is a DVI board available for it, but I guess your saying it isn't HDCP compliant. I know the screen downscales as it happily displays a PC set to 1024 x 768.
HDCP isnt the issue the issue is 50HZ HD the DVi and HDMI board are the same as they are for the 8 series its the panels own processor that cant accept a 720p or 1080i 50Hz signal

Just had a bit of a rethink (again!)

I don't want this first system of mine to be HD in any way, as I'll put a completely separate system in for that when I feel the time is right (like in 24 months or so). So HD really isn't an issue.

I've really been mulling over trying to keep the costs down as much as possible and getting as much bang for buck. I have a fairly crude, but powerful set of Logitech Z580 400 watt RMS jobbies down in the cellar hooked into the chipped xbox and panny pt-ae100 projector. Sound quality isn't great, with a bit of mild hiss from the center and the controller isn't ideal, but its good enough for my humble ears (more importantly other half's ears too)

So, how about get the PW6 for 800 quid, run the xbox into the SKY+ pass through (is that composite over scart or RGB?). Run the RGB scart into a JS RGB to VGA (£125) into the Panny panel. I can run SKY+ audio into standard 2 channel (not arsed its only telly) and the optical out of the XBOX for all things film and video.

Throw a wall mount in and a funky all in one remote and I'm looking at no more than 1k.....hmmm interesting.

Interested in your thoughts

Timiano

i wopuld say go for the PWD6 but if you are keeping the PJ use a JS component 1 in 2 output box use component to feed Xbox to plasma and S-video for Sky+ to plasma or PJ or both if required, if your ditching the PJ its dead easy and cheap but get some better sound (you can hear the difference)

Hi,

PJ is being sold, along with 2metre wide pull down screen from projected.co.uk. Its all in the cellar which is going to be used for something else, hence purchase of plasma up stairs. I'll stick with the Logis for a bit and upgrade to a Denon receiver with the Cantons later in the year when cash is a bit free'er (is that a word?).

I'm ideally looking to run just the one input cable into the plasma. I think I read somewhere that the PW6 won't do component over VGA (D-Sub if thats what it is) and I don't want the expense of the extra component card for the panny if not neccessary.

Mr Hornydragon, may I also thank-you very much for your input. I have read almost all of this forum and time and time again you have been unconditionally helpful. So cheers!

Timiano

timiano said:
I'm ideally looking to run just the one input cable into the plasma. I think I read somewhere that the PW6 won't do component over VGA (D-Sub if thats what it is) and I don't want the expense of the extra component card for the panny if not neccessary.
PWD6 will take component over VGA fine its the 7 series that wont....
If youwant to run just 1 cable i suggest you use component to the VGA input, when you get a new reciver ideall one with video to component up conversion your sorted............in the ,ean time i suggest you use S-video for sky+ S-video cards come free with the 8 series and depending on where you get a 6 from may also be included (or buy one cheap from an 8 series onwer that doesnt need one, RGB>VGA is good but component is better and more flexible its up to you but if you go down the RGB>VGA route your limited to Scart RGB being your only input and i would not reconmend having a single scart RGB only input on a wall mounted plasma

Cheers for that, I'm coming around now.

I think the deal breaker will be if the guys throw in a svhs/composite board in, or at least a very good price as a sweetener.

I've managed to track down a xbox HD AV pack so I have my component out, just need to find out what and where to get a cable that transforms the 3 component RCAs to component over VGA??...anyone any idea?

Hi there,

Just thought I'd bump this thread as I'm in a similar position. I was all set for a PWD8 from AVsales but started to notice a few very temping PWD6's on the classified pages here. I want a cheap plasma option until HD becomes the norm (couple of years I guess). From reading the above I have come up with the following and please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

PWD6 will take my inputs in the following way:
DVD via component (either component board or component to VGA lead)
Sky+ via a JS RGB to component adaptor or straight to an S-Vid board.
PC for web browsing via the VGA board if I don't use it for component over VGA.

Also am I right in thinking that the main 'loss' of the 6 against the 8 is that it won't handle HD over component wheras the 8 would?

And finally how do the resolutions compare and what impact would this have on using the panel for web browsing which would be my primary PC use.

Cheers,

Richard

p203557 said:
Also am I right in thinking that the main 'loss' of the 6 against the 8 is that it won't handle HD over component wheras the 8 would?
6 series and 8 series handle component (analogue) HD no problem, both handle HDCP, both handle SD digital video (576/480) at both 50 and 60 Hz PWD8 (all 8 series) handle HD digital at 50 Hz, 7 series and older only handle 60Hz HD digital 4 series and older dont handle HDCP

In short 8 series can do 720p@50Hz and 1080i@50Hz over HDMI/DVi, 6 series cant

SD arent ideal for web browsing but can be OK you need to set browser up for large text etc and text can be fuzzy but have a demo and see what you think some people live with others dont, Excel and word are pretty poor on 852x480 panels as they were designed for 800x600 minimum and recently1024x768 4;3 aspect

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom