Difference between Panny TX-P42S30B & TX-P42S31B?

celtic13

On Saturday I ordered the s30B from my local independent dealer which he said would be delivered tomorrow. Today he phoned to say the model had been updated to the s31B and that would be delivered on Thursday. Thing is I can't find any reviews online or even listed on the Panny website!!!! Is he telling porkies or is my cynicism getting the better of me?

Please enlighten me - are there any differences?

Paul

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
The number change is for price matching in the past. Search on th 31B and it is sold in Comet, Currys etc. It is actually a 30B I would not doubt.

archie123

Standard Member
I would check when it arrives mate somebody else on these forums was asking the same question about the tv in comet , when they went too look at the tv (the supposed S31) and looked at the code on the back it was a very old model and definately not the s30.

On a brighter note i got the s30 from currys yesterday for 450 (i know the manager) and its fantastic (although i am upgrading from an 11 year old 28" sony crt so anything would look fantastic too me ;) )

edit , found it

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1536940-panasonic-tx-p42s31b-please-help.html

cheers Vickster.

Just been to comet, looked on the back of the TV and its the TX-P42S21b !!

Shan't bother !!

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

mikej

I would check when it arrives mate somebody else on these forums was asking the same question about the tv in comet , when they went too look at the tv (the supposed S31) and looked at the code on the back it was a very old model and definately not the s30.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1536940-panasonic-tx-p42s31b-please-help.html

Looks to me like the TV on that occasion was simply mislabelled on display and I guess this could happen to any TV...particularly in Comet :laugh:

The S31 is essentially the same as a S30 and if they sent out a S21 by mistake, then there would be very good grounds for complaint !

aquilaalba

Standard Member
The S31 according to specs on various websites is an updated S30 with improved contrast of 5.000.000:1, I've just bought one and it is awesome. The only problem I've got is I need to know if I can change the S31B firmware to S30E to convert it to a European model as it's narrowed to UK/Ireland at present... Not sure if this will be possible, depending on the hardware inside. Someone ever tried that?

mikej

is there a way of setting the default to HDMI 1 when first switched on?

Check through all the set-up menus - there is usually a way of getting these TVs to start with either their in-built tuners or one of the HDMIs.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
mikej said:
Check through all the set-up menus - there is usually a way of getting these TVs to start with either their in-built tuners or one of the HDMIs.

On Panasonic TVs look for "Power on Preference"

archie123

Standard Member
its odd the 31 isnt on the panasonic website? I thought it was only the new neo plasmas that had the 5000000/1 contrast ratio . Im gutted i didnt look into the comet one more closely

aquilaalba

Standard Member
It seems by the info I've found that it is the neoPDP, but it seems, couldn't find specific info, I think they've mentioned it on one or two websites directly, but not sure if you can hold them to it? neoPDP was a bit dearer in the shop, so wouldn't think so, but considering the contrast value? I don't know. Maybe?

archie123

Standard Member
seen this TV in Comet in Hull today for £450 in the sale! , Contrast ratio listed as 50000000/1 on the blurb at the front (the stuff comet stick too the shelves). Looks like a bargain

leedebs

seen this TV in Comet in Hull today for £450 in the sale! , Contrast ratio listed as 50000000/1 on the blurb at the front (the stuff comet stick too the shelves). Looks like a bargain

This blurb is not according to Panasonic own though
The G series (non 3d) and ST series (3d) upwards only have the latest neo fitted, they also use Infinite Black/Black Pro filters hence the 50000000/1 ratio I understand that the models lower down the range do have a neopdp fitted but I think its last years hence why Panasonic don't label it as such, also these don't use the better filters hence 2000000/1 contrast ratio
Products - Compare Products - Panasonic UK & Ireland

archie123

Standard Member
This blurb is not according to Panasonic own though
The G series (non 3d) and ST series (3d) upwards only have the latest neo fitted, they also use Infinite Black/Black Pro filters hence the 50000000/1 ratio I understand that the models lower down the range do have a neopdp fitted but I think its last years hence why Panasonic don't label it as such, also these don't use the better filters hence 2000000/1 contrast ratio
Products - Compare Products - Panasonic UK & Ireland

yeah my S30 is 2000000/1 but its not a neo , Its a bit misleading if comet are quoting incorrect info

EDIT.........apparently mine is 2010's Neo PDP system just seen a review on it

Last edited:

deblee

Novice Member
yeah my S30 is 2000000/1 but its not a neo , Its a bit misleading if comet are quoting incorrect info

EDIT.........apparently mine is 2010's Neo PDP system just seen a review on it

At least you don't have the problems with green blobs, also I assume the s series do not have fans fitted?
See this here Buy Panasonic Viera TX-P50S30 Plasma HD 1080p TV, 50 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com absolute bargain, if I didn't want 3d this would be the set I'd get

archie123

Standard Member
At least you don't have the problems with green blobs, also I assume the s series do not have fans fitted?
See this here Buy Panasonic Viera TX-P50S30 Plasma HD 1080p TV, 50 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com absolute bargain, if I didn't want 3d this would be the set I'd get

nope no green blobs ha ha , i looked at 3d in currys i was impressed with it but i cant imagine anytime we'd sit round (especially the kids) wearing those ridiculous bloody glasses , that seem to run on batteries!!?? , although a friend has a new LG that uses glasses like the ones in the cinema , that tv was way out of my 500 quid budget though

mikej

i looked at 3d in currys i was impressed with it but i cant imagine anytime we'd sit round (especially the kids) wearing those ridiculous bloody glasses , that seem to run on batteries!!??

The Panasonic glasses are active, so need a power source - the're rechargable via USB.

Ciaran76

Standard Member
Just actually bought one of these S31's from my Panasonic dealer, fantastic picture - £490 including the usual 5 year warranty.

Have any owners connected the tv to their wifi yet - if so what dongle did you use?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom