Difference between Panasonic TX-40DS400B and TX-40DS500B

greencode

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 40" TV around the £300 mark. Always bought Panasonic in the past and see no reason to change. I've seen a couple; the TX-40DS400B at around the £300 mark and the TX-40DS500B around the £350 mark however I just can't seem to find any obvious differences between the two

A bit confused?!

It does have built-in Wi-Fi. I've managed to find the user manual which indicates as such. Both also appear to Edge-lit.

The dimensions (without stand) are:

DS500: 904x518x47 (10.5kg)
DS400: 902x522x88 (8kg)

So lighter but deeper than the DS500 (Not an issue as I won't be wall mounting).

Even looking at this comparison site Comparison between: 40" Panasonic TX-40DS400, 40" Panasonic TX-40DS500 there appears to be nothing between them other than that increased depth and weight.

So a slightly different look i.e. light and stand and "In-house TV Streaming".

[yes I saw this
TX-40DS400E-Technical_Icons_7Global-1_nl_nl.gif
on the product page for the 400 right after I posted and deleted my reply to further check it out]

Apparently they can both receive the 'in-house streaming', only the 500 can receive the signal wirelessly
TX-40DS500E-Technical_Icons_4Global-1_nl_nl.gif
and the 400 only through a wired lan connection. I thought he meant or that that might mean that the 400 (therefore) didn't have a wifi adapter but according to the specs it indeed does.
Other than that the 400 looks a lot fatter which the specs also indicate. Perhaps an indication it's direct-lit LED and the 500 edge-lit but that's just guessing ... (power consumption seems to be 42W for the 500 and 48W for the 400).

[displayspecifications is just a fancy looking page :D]

Of course the in-house streaming is completely irrelevant without a tv that can act as the server so it mainly comes down to looks indeed (unless the panels are different, but even then they are both 40" so they are almost certainly both VA types).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom