1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference Between Marantz SR5300 and SR7300?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sunday Ironfoot, Oct 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any differences between the Marantz SR5300 and the SR7300 in terms of sound or build quality. I'm unlikely to use the extra features on the SR7300 but is it worth spending an extra £100 and getting the 7300 over the 5300. The reason I ask is because Superfi.co.uk are selling these dead cheap, £300 for the SR5300 and £400 for the SR7300. My speakers will be Mission 782SE fronts, 7CSE centre and M51 rears.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,329
    Little bit more power on the 73, component video switching, an RS232 bus and a better remote. I've had a 73 for about 10 months and been very happy with the thing (plus I'm sad enough to use component video switching) although I am eyeing up the 5400 OSE currently.

3. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons,
    Have you actually seen or heard a 5400 OSE? I too would be interested. Have any thoughts on the machine? Or how it would deal with 4ohm speakers like the MS Premier Pack or Premier Plus?
    Cheers,
    Jim

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,329
    Both thanks, and it is an extremely capable piece of kit. No more AV capability than than a 5400 but musically (multichannel and stereo) it is a really nice bit of kit. I'm really considering making a "proper" go of multichannel music and would seriously think about it, especially as the 7400 is going to be 7.1 (for which I have no inclination/space). Can't see it having a problem with a 4ohm speaker the size of a Premiere as it isn't very current hungry.
    Ed

5. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tons. ;)
    Just wondering if you can say whether the 5400 OSE has this 'RS232C' upgrade feature the 7300 has? On the Marantz website, on one page it says it has it. On another, it says it doesn't.
    Also, I see there's no multi-room or A/B speaker selection switch. I was considering the possibility in the future of running cabling to another room and having a couple of speakers there to carry the music through. Will this one not do that?
    Last, do you think this receiver would be overkill for me? I am looking for something that would be good musically and with film, sacrificing as little as possible in both areas. I have been looking at the Yamaha 640 amp and receiver versions. I think I could possibly get used to both sounds (Marantz or Yammie).
    Is there a clear winner, in your opinion, for someone in my shoes?
    I would be matching with either the MS Premier or Premier Plus, KEF Eggs, or (least likely because of space) MA Bronze B2AV1.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    EDIT: Sorry, should have mentioned that I'm not that interested in SACD or DVDA just yet. Though I'm happy to listen to CDs in multichannel, if it sounds good.

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,329
    Didn't check for an RS232 :blush: but I don't think that it does as the socketry hasn't been changed from the SR5400. If the multiroom features are important to you I would seriously consider the 7 series gear because it can do the multiroom stuff properly but its a BIG jump in price if you aren't definately going multiroom- unless (dragging back to Ironfoots thread) you snap a 7300 up at the price they're going for at the moment- that could be a good deal.

7. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    richer sounds will be selling the sr5300 for £250 and sr4300 for £200, if your interested. a price cut of £200 and £150 respectively.

8. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are these receivers being sold so cheap, are they just being discontinued and replaced with 400 variants (ie. 5400, 7400), or is there something fishy that I should know about (eg. European imports etc.)?

9. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're being replaced. See Marantz's website:
    http://www.marantz.com/hifi/europe/
    Look under products, range series, and then AV Receivers.
    You'll see the new specs for the 4400 and 5400's. I'm sure the 7400 will not be long to follow.
    Superfi's site, as I remember, guarantees that their stuff is not 'grey imports'. You can speak to them and ask more if you're interested.
    There have been some problems with the 7300 with a hissing noice or something - you can find more on that if you do a search on the 7300 in this forum. However, if you like Marantz, and you get a good 7300, I understand they're pretty good machines.
    Jim

10. regis

regis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A difference to be noted between SR5300 and SR7300 is the current feedback only available on the SR7300. This feature is really a "no miss" if you have speakers difficult to drive.

I intend to buy B&W DM604 speakers, and I have been highly recommended to go for the SR7300.

Régis.