Difference between LZ980 and LZ1500 @ 42"?

Scamm0r

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Due house renovations etc. it's unfortunately time to replace my trusty Panasonic GT60 plasma. I've been super-happy with it, still am in fact but my hand is being forced slightly.

For someone that works in the film industry (with background in colour grading), the thing that matters the most to me is colour and image accuracy for movies and high-end TV. I don't really care what it looks like in the mid-afternoon sunshine :p For that reason I'm still leaning towards Panasonic, with perhaps LG slightly getting a look-in currently. Due to room/alcove size it'll have to be a 42".

With that in mind, quick question regarding Panasonic's 42" models. It seems the LZ1500 has the 'Master OLED Pro' panel, but I'm seeing reviews that mention the 42/48 sizes actually do not have this, nor the heatsink. So am I right in thinking picture performance would be exactly the same as the LZ980? :confused: What else separates the two models at 42" sizes? :confused: They can both be found for £999 currently, and are we expecting prices to go down? Or stock to disappear?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, no answers but I’m interested to find this out too. Also, does either/both have the Apple TV+ app as I can’t seem to find definitive info on that either. My other choice would be the Sony A90K but that is £450 more expensive!

@Scamm0r ; @fordster

When I was looking at buying my 42" I did what research that I could. The smaller models do not have the master panel or heatsink. The main difference between the lz1500 and the lz980 is the sound system : difference between 42" models - can't remember !!

My lz980 has the Apple TV+ app

Last edited:
Thanks. The 42” LZ980 came back in stock at John Lewis last night and with a £50 discount with MyJohnLewis membership and a free £100 gift card (both expire tomorrow, gift card is redeemable in July) I bought one!

Hi all. Due house renovations etc. it's unfortunately time to replace my trusty Panasonic GT60 plasma. I've been super-happy with it, still am in fact but my hand is being forced slightly.

For someone that works in the film industry (with background in colour grading), the thing that matters the most to me is colour and image accuracy for movies and high-end TV. I don't really care what it looks like in the mid-afternoon sunshine :p For that reason I'm still leaning towards Panasonic, with perhaps LG slightly getting a look-in currently. Due to room/alcove size it'll have to be a 42".

With that in mind, quick question regarding Panasonic's 42" models. It seems the LZ1500 has the 'Master OLED Pro' panel, but I'm seeing reviews that mention the 42/48 sizes actually do not have this, nor the heatsink. So am I right in thinking picture performance would be exactly the same as the LZ980? :confused: What else separates the two models at 42" sizes? :confused: They can both be found for £999 currently, and are we expecting prices to go down? Or stock to disappear?

Thanks in advance.
Bear in mind that an OLED is going to take up less room that your old GT60 - its quite surprising how much. I would definitely try to stretch to 55" if you can. Either way, you are going to notice quite the upgrade!

Bear in mind that an OLED is going to take up less room that your old GT60 - its quite surprising how much. I would definitely try to stretch to 55" if you can. Either way, you are going to notice quite the upgrade!
Thanks. Unfortunately the TV will be mounted in a chimney alcove that measures something like 1002mm wide. So max is the 42" :(

Hello!

Does anyone know the differences between the Panasonic 48LZ1500 and Panasonic 48LZ980 OLED TVs?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom